- Start-up backed by Tier 1 Venture Capital firms in the US and ANZ
- Help us scale up our manufacturing capability to industrial levels / becoming automotive-grade
- Fun and inclusive culture, winner of People's Choice Award
Baraja is changing the world of self-driving cars through the invention of a new type of LiDAR called Spectrum-Scan™ that delivers ultra-high performance at high resolution, even at incredibly far distances. Today, Baraja LiDAR is already deployed in multiple verticals, working with global automotive and industrial partners.
Originally founded in Sydney, Australia, we also have offices in San Francisco, China and Europe. We are funded by Sequoia, Blackbird and Main Sequence Ventures and we are excited to continue growing the team, so if you are looking for a fast-paced, dynamic role in a start-up we are keen to hear from you!
We are looking for a Component Engineer to qualify all components used in the assembly and build of prototypes, new products, and product improvements.
The role reports to the New Product Introduction Manager in our growing Advanced Manufacturing team.
The primary focus is to scale up our production capacity to industrial levels; ideally through to becoming automotive-grade. This will take the following roadmap:
1- Validation & Verification (V&V)
- Interpret mechanical drawings and design a specific inspection procedure for each mechanical part / component
- Ensure Manufacturing and Safety Standards requirements are verified and met
2- Drive quality improvement
- Identify supplier manufacturing issues and pre-empt the rectification of component defects
- Develop inter-personal relationships with suppliers and negotiate directly with them (e.g. feasibility vs cost, manufacturability vs complexity of a design)
- Continuously and strategically source new suppliers and evaluate our Preferred Suppliers to yield an increase in capability, capacity and cost
- Collaborate with suppliers to develop cost-effective solutions, and overseeing successful implementation at the supplier facility
3- Collaborate on new designs
We work in an Agile (i.e. SCRUM, Kanban) fashion where multi-disciplinary squads are formed from tribes. This includes:
- Phase & Gate process (e.g. PDR, DDR, CDR, etc)
- Design Thinking (e.g. Manufacturability, Viability, Feasibility, Usability, etc)
Our Product Development team is responsible for delivering on prototypes, new products, and product improvements. The Advanced Manufacturing, Product Development and Supply Chain teams are inter-dependant and you’ll inclusively cooperate with each other to:
- Commit to having any mechanical component issues captured, addressed and resolved in a timely manner
- Nurture supportive relationships based on mutual trust and empathy
- Provide recommendations about manufacturability and cost
- Support Supply Chain on technical component discussions with existing suppliers.
4- Process improvement
We are in the process of lifting our capability to automotive AIAG (Automotive Industry Action Group) standards. You’ll participate in the following:
- Drive the adoption of the Automotive Core Tools (i.e. APQP: Advanced Product Quality Planning, FMEA: Failure Mode and Effects Analysis, PPAP: Production Part Approval Process, GD&T, MSA: Measurement System Analysis, SPC: Statistical Process Control)
- Develop new mechanical inspection jigs, processes and methods that will improve measurement accuracy and subsequently improve component quality
Your Skills & Experience
You have commercial experience in Component or Process Engineering. This includes the following:
- Mechanical Component and Jig / Rig Design
- MRP (Material Requirements Planning) systems / ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) software (e.g. Odoo, Acumatica, IFS, SAP Infor, MS Dynamics, etc)
- Statistical analysis methods to establish supplier performance (e,g, Minitab, JMP by SAS, etc)
- Vendor management of various mechanical component suppliers (e.g.
Ideally, you’d have experience in the following:
- Tertiary qualification in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- CMM or Vertex scripting
- Automotive industry background (e.g. manufacturing automotive products or dealing with automotive customers)
We believe that our culture is one of our most important assets and we’ve wrapped it up with three key values that we do our best to live up to every day:
- Hustle to deliver on hard and meaningful problems - Passion to achieve. Resilience & learning. What's the next challenge?
- Build the machine that builds the machine - It’s not enough to design amazing products, we need to design the means to manufacture these products, at scale.
- Develop sustained high performance - Great teams make great things. They also respectfully challenge each other to reach the next milestone.
We work towards our goals by being in constant communication in person and through a range of technologies. We also have big ears for feedback from customers to help us continually improve the Baraja experience. We are pretty good at what we do (but definitely not perfect), so you’ll be learning from and working with a top-flight team on a mission to be better every day.
The Benefits We Can Offer You
- ESOP (Employee Share Option Plan)
- Healthy lunch provided onsite, daily
- Wellness Allowance
- Learning & Development Allowance
- Nany Care Service
- Monthly social events
- Monthly team lunch
- Baraja’s Clubs (e.g. Coffee, Physics, Robotics, Brewing, etc)
- Social sporting teams (e.g. Hiking, Basketball, Soccer, Frisbee, Table tennis)
- Volunteering day
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Program
The recognition we gathered
We've recently been the recipient of the following:
- Finalist in the 2021 InnovationAus Awards for Excellence in 3 categories: People's Choice, Advanced Manufacturing & Wild Card
- 2021 NSW Premier's Export NSW Awards
- iAward for Automation Technologies Innovation of the Year 2019
What are you waiting for? If this role excites you, we’re keen to have a chat!