hi, we’re hipages.
We're Australia's largest online tradie marketplace, where our team gets to help shape the on-demand tradie economy. Over 3 million Australians have used hipages where a home improvement job is posted every 20 seconds.
How you will make an impact:
As a lead software engineer for our Business Transformation team, you will be responsible for the design, development, and delivery of our web applications. You will work closely with fellow software engineers, product managers, and other key stakeholders to devise innovative solutions to customer problems. You will be influential in defining the future of the hipages software architecture as we continue to evolve. But most importantly, you’ll be joining a top-notch engineering team!
How you will add value:
- Contributes to setting the technical vision and direction at the team level and contributes to technical vision and direction for the company
- Demonstrates the ability to lead projects involving multiple teams
- Contributes towards making technical decisions that have a department wide impact and takes ownership and accountability for these
- Demonstrated ability to identify, track and resolve highly complex issues in familiar systems, and medium level issues in unfamiliar systems
- Demonstrate willingness to work in different codebases, between frontend, backend or mobile.
- Identifies core design flaws in familiar systems
- Understand how the business converts customers’ needs into team backlogs
- Helps PMs to validate and verify assumptions during discovery
- 7+ years of relevant software engineering experience
- 2+ years of experience as a technical lead of a successful delivery team
- Experienced in in AWS technologies
- Solid background in multiple programming languages, e.g. Node.js, PHP, React.js, Golang, Python, etc.
- Solid understanding of Engineering principles, eg SOLID
- Experience working in an agile team (Scrum or Kanban)
- Strong experience with relational databases and SQL, preferably MySQL
- Experience writing automated tests
- Solid understanding of continuous integration systems and concepts
- Experience in XP techniques, eg. pair programming, TDD
- Experience building event-based systems and working with message broker technologies such as RabbitMQ or Apache Kafka
- Experience working with search solutions such as Elasticsearch
- Familiarity with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with NoSQL data stores
- Understanding of microservices architecture
Take a look inside our home:
- A close-knit diverse family of bright, respectful, collaborative members who love to solve problems and jump on new opportunities
- High-touch personalised investment in your continuous career development
- Agile cross-functional teams who value teamwork - from Hackathon to team off-sites, to Product roadshows, you get to experience it all
- Competitive salary and benefits, plus equity via our Employee Share Program, we’re all owners of hipages and other great perks such as 14 weeks paid parental leave
- Daily bottomless continental breakfast, fresh fruit and snacks
- Inspiring office and location-based in the heart of Sydney CBD, only a few steps from Town Hall Station
- Remote work and flexible work (50/50) hybrid model
- Social connection focus: Friday socials, company parties and teaming activities - the best in town!
Sounds like you're home? Apply Now!
Innovation & Collaboration are two important core values at hipages which both cannot be achieved successfully without a diverse and inclusive team. We don't expect you to be an expert in all areas, and we are more interested in learning about you as a person, a team member and a leader.
Research shows that while men apply for jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other minority groups tend only to apply when they check every box. So if you don't tick every single box above, but you think you would be a great fit for the role we encourage you to apply, we would LOVE to hear from you!