About the role
In the last 9 months, the Mr Yum team has grown from 11 to 40 people in multiple regions with zero churn. We've built a talented team who care SO much, and attracted world-class talent from companies like Uber, Square and Google. We continue to dream, challenge ourselves and back each other.
2021 is about scale - we'll only be able to do this by empowering the team in their work, support in clearing obstacles, and ensuring they can make an impact from day 1.
As the Head of People you will be responsible for the People Operations and Talent Acquisition functions across our Melbourne head office and remote teams.
Working closely with and reporting into - the CEO, you will be responsible for the high level strategy of these functions as well as leading on the day to day operations. Simply put, you will be responsible for the happiness and development of our people.
About Mr Yum - Recap of 2020
Hi, we’re Mr Yum 👋
Hospitality & entertainment are tough industries where margins are slim and even more challenging now through COVID. We started Mr Yum at the end of 2018 to help venues make the numbers work.Our product is a QR code visual menu, ordering & payment platform with options for dine-in orders, pickup takeaway and delivery. Mr Yum empowers businesses to own and understand their customers, increase spend and allow their staff to focus on meaningful interactions rather than transactional ones.
In 2020, we grew 25x, found product market fit, built a trusted brand and proved out strong unit economics. Read more at our Mr Yum 2020 Recap
With your help, we have ambitious goals to scale the business (locally & internationally!) this year by building the most beautiful, powerful tools for our customers. Our B2B customers range from national venue groups including Australian Venue Co, airports, stadiums all the way to boutique hotels and family-run restaurants.
Our team is made up of over 40 kind and driven humans working out of Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and The Philippines. We’re hiring this role for our beautiful Melbourne HQ — where we’re enjoying a mix of WFH and time collaborating in the office.
Sold? Let us tell you a bit about the role:
- Work with the co-founders to develop and execute on a people strategy - end to end employee lifecycle from attraction and recruitment, employee experience, engagement & performance feedback,to L&D, reward & benefits, and everything in between.
- Balance the similaries and differences between functions, and algin them with our overall people goals
- Change Management - essential at a fast paced ever changing start-up
- Employee relations from disciplinaries and grievances, to redundancies and terminations
- Benefits, reward and progression. You will need to make sure that our employees are rewarded fairly, and competitively, and that all employees can see progression opportunities, and their future at Mr Yum.
- Build and maintain a strong high performance culture where people thrive and enjoy coming to work
- Implementation and ownership of people systems
- Facilitate 360 degree feedback
- People compliance & policies
If we’d worked with you in the past 8 weeks, here are some things you would have been involved with:
- Helped identify talent and skill gaps in the team for 2021
- Established a recruitment process and approach
- Hired 4 exciting new team members into software development, customer success and marketing roles
- Facilitated one-on-ones across the team - this has been ad-hoc to date
- End of year team bonuses for 2020
- Worked on alginment of KPIs and responsibility between teams - this is still an ongoing project
- Worked on our onboarding process and 'academy' - upskilling team members fast so they can be effective from day 1
- Strong experience in a multi-funcitonal internal people role - in both talent acquisition and people operations
- Be able to navigate an ever-changing environment
- Ability to influence - a great listener that can influence at all levels from co-founders through to recent graduates
- Intellectually curious - one that can find answers outside of the team by reading and buildling a network of people leaders
- You can delicately balance both the needs of the business and it's people
Nice to have
- Strong background in technology in a high growth business (e.g. a scale-up)
- Have hired across multiple functions from sales to software developers
- Internal experience with multinational teams and offices
- A stunning office space in Collingwood - 6 minutes drive to the city, 4 minutes to the Eastern M3 and 7 mins to the Monash M1
- An awesome gym in the Melbourne HQ with everything from a squat rack to bench and free weights
- A stocked drinks fridge, cracking open a beer on Wednesday is totally OK
- Flexible working times - most of the team start at around 10am but you can start whenever you want
- Flexibility on working from home - most of the team enjoy being in the office, our developers work remote and come in on Fridays. If you need to stay home to get some quiet time, that is totally OK too!