About the job
We are looking for a passionate, enthusiastic senior .NET developer to join our backend team of experienced developers and technical professionals.
You will be responsible for planning, building, releasing, and supporting all software in the backend of the Homely platform.
Alongside technical prowess, we particularly look for individuals with a "can-do" attitude, a willingness to jump in and help with any problem, always looking for new ways to solve problems, and continued evaluation of work, process, and output to ensure great products get out in the best possible way.
- Building out new systems using the latest technologies (.NET Core / .NET 5, SQL, Azure, Microservices)
- Supporting existing legacy systems (.NET 4.x), and migrating them to shiny new platforms
- Discuss, plan, estimate, and design technical solutions
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to ensure development effort is aligned with key business objectives
- Investigate and squash bugs
- Provide data reports to help drive key business decisions
- Maintenance, monitoring, and upgrades to our cloud-based Azure infrastructure
- Making sure all systems are healthy, ensuring the Homely heart beats strong!
You MUST have:
- Strong communication skills. We move fast here, and efficient and succinct communication is key to that pace.
- Strong opinions on how to build software, in a pragmatic and logical manner. We aren't locked into any tech stack, so you need to be able to make, own and preach your decisions to the team.
- Strong Agile / DevOps focus across the full software lifecycle. That means designing, building, deploying, monitoring, and learning from your code and our customers in an efficient and automated matter, iterating as fast as possible.
- A focus on the backend/infrastructure. Tinkering around with some front-end is fine, but you need to love the server-side. API's, distributed systems, databases, networks, cloud... this needs to be your passion and your focus.
- Self-motivation and autonomy. We're a small and growing team, so we need people to jump right in and add value as early as possible.
- A tireless learning mindset. Up to date with the best way to build software today and tomorrow, but coupled with the pragmatic mindset of knowing when to invest in the future and when to hold on to proven tech.
- A data-driven outlook. We love stats, and they help drive all our decisions. It's key you understand what stats you need, how to source them, and how to learn from them.
- Natural leadership and influencing abilities. We like every new person we hire to make others around them better, to grow a great team.
You SHOULD have:
- Varied experience across multiple industries
- Worked with some companies or products we've heard of
- Some contributions to the open-source community. GitHub code, blog posts, YouTube vids...anything to show that you love tech!
You MUST have
- Expert skills in .NET / C#. This is where 90% of your effort will be, so you need to be a guru. You should be an expert in .NET 4.x, but also experienced with newer flavors (.NET Core / .NET 5)
- Expert SQL experience. We don't have DBA's here, so you need to write your own SQL queries, and know how to monitor and manage the machines they run on.
- Cloud experience (ideally Azure). All our infrastructure runs in the cloud, so you will need a breadth of experience setting up all types of services (websites, networks, serverless functions, databases, etc)
- Experience building services + API's (ideally public facing websites + RESTful services)
- Experience with automated testing (xUnit, MS Test, Selenium, etc)
- Experience with version control (e.g Git / GitHub)
- Experience setting up build servers (e.g Azure Pipelines, AppVeyor, TeamCity, Jenkins, etc)
- Monitoring experience (e.g ApplicationInsights, NewRelic, Retrace, etc)
You SHOULD have (bonus points!)
- Exposure to microservices or some kind of distributed architecture
- Heard of / used container technology (Docker, Kubernetes, Tye, etc)
- Used or experimented with NoSQL offerings (MongoDB, CosmosDB, ElasticSearch, etc)
Benefits and perks
On offer is a potentially career defining position with a company that is shaping the future of the online real estate industry. Your opportunity for learning and creating a groundbreaking product is awaiting. Further to that you will receive:
- During the current COVID-19 environment, we are requesting all staff to work from home, and will continue to foster a WFH culture for the foreseeable future. This means complete flexibility in work hours for you.
- POST COVID-19: An office with a great view, located at the "Paris End" of Collins Street in Melbourne CBD.
- POST COVID-19: Friday drinks from the dedicated full-size bar fridge in our modern cafe area.
- A fast paced agile team environment that's also casual and inclusive.
- Quarterly hack days where you can explore and learn outside of the day-to-day tasks.
- Training allowance on request.
- Social club activities.
- The opportunity to shape one of the most exciting real estate brands in Australia.
- Working within a company known for design and user experience, having been nominated and honoured by the Webby Awards for 5 years running.
Please note, due to an anticipated large volume of enquiries we will not be able to get back to all candidates.
The job is open to full-time employees with an immediate start.
All workers must have full work rights in Australia as no sponsorship will be offered and no remote placements - have to be able to work in the Melbourne office.
About Homely Group
Homely.com.au is a real estate search portal that helps millions of Australians each year to find their next home. Homely.com.au features over 90% of all real estate listings in Australia combined with incredibly unique neighbourhood content. Consumers can engage with street, suburb and agent reviews, a local Q&A community, school data and other tools to help them find the perfect place to live.
Homely.com.au has been internationally recognised numerous times as one the top real estate portals in the world by the Webby Awards, most notably in 2017 for their mobile app. With an extreme focus on user experience and product design, Homely.com.au continues to push the product boundaries of real estate search in Australia.