With 25 million pets and counting, Australians love their pets. However, leaving them while on holiday, at work, or even during the day can be stressful for both animals and their humans. At Mad Paws, we solve this problem.
Mad Paws is Australia’s largest marketplace for Pet Sitting and pet-related services; the platform allows Pet Owners to search for Pet Sitters in their local area and find someone to look after their best friend when they’re not around. We launched 5 years ago and we have been showing extremely strong growth, which we are very excited about. We are venture-backed and an official partner of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program.
The Mad Paws Pack is made up of a talented and passionate team working to creating the largest pet community in Australia. We work hard, whilst also making sure to never take ourselves too seriously and enjoy every minute of this exciting adventure.
We will only consider applications through email which include the content requested below.
We are looking for a self-motivated Lead Software Engineer or an experienced Senior Engineer who is looking to take the next step in their career and lead development in a cross-functional agile team. This is a hands-on role but you will also mentor other engineers and collaborate with product and design on a daily basis to set a common strategic and tactical roadmap of outcomes that the team will deliver.
You will work closely with our Engineering Lead helping drive development best practices and processes, as well as ensuring great code quality through code reviews. The role is a crucial component in our strategy to scale our engineering team, in line with the rapid growth of our overall business. This is a unique opportunity to work on a platform that is having a meaningful real world impact at scale today, yet has tremendous scope to improve further.
- You are an end-to-end owner. You will participate actively in all aspects of the product life cycle; from designing, building, and delivering value for our users.
- You will contribute to more than our product, you’ll help build up our team through a combination of mentoring and technical leadership.
- You will be directly involved in finding solutions and creating the most amazing digital experience on the market for our community of passionate pet lovers.
- Contribute to the direction of our technical environment and development practices.
- Help drive a high-performance agile culture and best practices within the technology teams and across the organisation.
- While your technical skills are of paramount importance in this role, being able to simplify concepts and communicate with non-technical team members and our users will also be critical to success in this role.
- Support the Engineering Lead in key technology decisions in order to build for the long-term while managing roadmaps and the business’ tactical and strategic needs.
- Experience leading and mentoring an engineering team or a strong desire of doing so. You think beyond just the task at hand to deeply understand the ‘why’ behind what is being delivered, and you make significant and self-directed end-to-end contributions.
- Experience in collaborating with designers and product managers to achieve the best outcomes given a number of constraints.
- You know React back to front but you are also a broadly skilled engineer used to getting into the back-end (we have a mix of Node.js and Laravel) to deliver end-to-end solutions.
- Solid skills with semantic HTML and CSS and an understanding of the importance of accessibility.
- Experience with analytics, feature flagging and A/B testing.
- Experience with API development in any programming language.
- Hands-on exposure to AWS services such as EC2, ECS, S3 and RDS.
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines and containerization.
- Working exposure to hybrid app development is highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of GraphQL and Laravel is a big plus.
- If you’re the kind of person who likes seeing something scale quickly from customer #1 and witness in person the impact of your work, then you need to get on board.
- You love learning from the people around you and love sharing your expertise as well.
- You enjoy working with a passionate and self-driven team of high-performing individuals who respectfully challenge themselves and each other to deliver the best experience to our customers.
- Lead your own development team and contribute to adjust and improve the principles that enable management driven by outcomes.
- Our office is in Pyrmont, Sydney, within the WOTSO coworking space.
- Walking distance to… Town Hall (15m), Chinatown (10m) and Sydney Fish Market (5m).
- Perks include:
- Competitive salary and equity options.
- Flexible working hours and days in the office.
- Free coffee, cookies, and awesome chill-out areas (in the building);
- A passionate and hard-working team.
- Of course, dogs in the office!
E-mail our Head of Product (strictly no recruiters please) on [email protected] with “Lead/Senior Software Engineer Job Application” as the subject. Then include the following elements:
- Curriculum Vitae (attached).
- In the email body, include the response to the following questions:
- How do you address the skills and requirements for the role?
- What is your expected salary package and how flexible is it?
- What’s your notice period?
- Are you ok to travel regularly to our office and adjust frequency based on ongoing COVID restriction updates?
- Are you fully entitled to work in Australia?
- Link(s) to your portfolio/GitHub profile or code samples to help us get a feel for how you write code.
We will only consider applications through email which include the content requested above.