THE ICONIC is Australia and New Zealand’s leading online fashion, sport, kids and lifestyle retailer. We create seamless and inspiring experiences for our customers, our people and our partners so that they can express the best version of themselves through the transformative power of fashion, sports, beauty and lifestyle. We DREAM BIG through collaboration and innovation, and we bring incredible ideas to life. We are a passionate group of people committed to designing the future of retail in Australia and New Zealand, and helping to make lasting change for the better of all communities involved.
About the role…
This is an exciting opportunity for an exceptional lawyer with outstanding legal skills and a curious attitude to join THE ICONIC’s Legal Team.
In this role you will be part of a small but mighty team working alongside our Legal Counsel and Legal Operations Specialist. You will report directly to the General Counsel & Company Secretary and have a high degree of autonomy in providing the full ambit of Legal, Governance, Risk, Regulatory and Compliance-related advice affecting THE ICONIC’s operations. You will also have the opportunity to work more broadly with our Legal and other colleagues located around the world who work across the operations of Global Fashion Group, the group to which THE ICONIC belongs.
From onboarding of brands, to our fulfilment operations, to supply chain, to marketing activities, to privacy matters, to campaigns that surprise and delight our customers (and everything in-between!) - this truly is an excellent opportunity for a mid-senior level lawyer seeking to grow within a fast paced fashion, retail and e-commerce environment.
You’re an energetic, passionate, think-outside-of-the-box kind of lawyer who is able to engage with all areas of the business, on multiple projects and keep pace in an extremely fast-moving environment.
- Pragmatic, commercially astute and business minded lawyer who is results and goal orientated and wants to help successfully scale our business and operations;
- Genuine interest and demonstrated experience in e-commerce, fashion, retail, high growth, scale-up or tech related matters either in-house or in private practice;
- Working knowledge of the legislative and regulatory environment relevant to our business operations with a keen interest in monitoring developments in Australia & New Zealand;
- Ability to identify, mitigate and manage risks in a manner that aligns with the organsiations’ risk appetite and objectives, whilst also exercising good judgement in suggesting calculated risks where appropriate;
- Strong team player, who has the ability to work in a small yet focussed team, and also able to work alongside multiple Regional Legal teams in other jurisdictions;
- Collaborative approach to all work with an ability to influence stakeholders across all levels of the organisation (including C-Suite) where you are able to develop solid working relationships, both proactively and in partnership, to get things done;
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills, who has the ability to adapt communication styles to various audiences, with a focus on breaking down legal jargon;
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to bring structure, logic and pragmatism to complex matters, initiatives and workstreams, including designing and building out multiple frameworks to address various matters from inception to roll out and completion;
- Provide clear, sound and pragmatic legal advice across a variety of subject areas including commercial contracts, corporate law, consumer protection law, competition law, promotions clearance, employment law, data protection and privacy law, intellectual property law, internet law and regulations, spam and other global legal frameworks;
- Partner closely with our Category Management, Tech and Marketing teams, as well as other teams including Operations, Growth & Business Development; Finance, and People & Culture to provide commercially pragmatic counsel and advice;
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide array of commercial agreements including: non-disclosure agreements, consultancy agreements, master services agreements, supplier trading agreements, software licensing agreements, data processing agreements, marketing agreements, brand partnerships, commercial waivers, letters of intent, supply chain and distribution agreements, property agreements, operational growth and expansion agreements (including M&A);
- Responsible for implementing a robust data privacy program including undertaking a review and/or draft policies, procedures, incident management processes, and able to oversee the Data Governance Committee alongside the General Counsel and other Committee Members;
- Advise on potential privacy, data or security-related incidents alongside Tech and Security teams, including any investigations, notifications and resolution efforts whilst also formulating recommendations for key stakeholders (including the Data Governance Committee) on subsequent updates to policies and initiatives that champion best practice in privacy and data protection;
- Support the ongoing development and launch of key compliance and governance initiatives, focussed on business ethics and delivery of substantive compliance programs including Code of Conduct, Conflicts of Interest, Anti-Bribery and Corruption, Speak Up, Anti-Trust / Competition, Sanctions, Modern Slavery and any other related related subjects;
- Partner with colleagues at our parent company Global Fashion Group as/when required on group-wide legal, governance, regulatory and compliance initiatives.
- Advise on and manage the resolution of a variety of disputes and regulatory matters;
- A well seasoned 7-9 years PQE in a top-tier law firm, or alternatively in-house in a large multinational corporation, with strong contract drafting and negotiation skills and business advisory on complex legal and compliance topics (including data protection).
- Combined Bachelor Degree in Law (LLB), Master of Laws (LLM) or Juris Doctor (JD) with strong academic credentials.
- Admitted to practice as a Solicitor in the Supreme Court of New South Wales and/or High Court of Australia.
Life at THE ICONIC...
Our culture of learning is an environment that supports and encourages the collective discovery, sharing and application of knowledge. This helps us to continually improve, achieve goals and attain new possibilities every day. From our ways of working and collaboration to our growth mindset and sustainable approach, we each add unique value and have an incredible amount of fun doing it! To read more about our purpose, mission and principles, please visit our Careers page: https://www.theiconic.com.au/playbook/careers
We are committed to providing reasonable arrangements to all individuals participating in our application and interview process, and while performing job functions. If you require any accommodations or adjustments prior to the submission of your application or throughout your interview process, please contact our Talent Acquisition team directly: [email protected]