The Umps Smart Home supports older Australians to stay safe and independent at home, and enables family and aged care providers to deliver the best possible care. Our technology uses connected power plugs to track real-time data on appliance use. If changes in appliance use indicate a decline in a person's health and wellbeing, the system raises an alert to their family or aged care provider.
Today, we have thousands of devices in people’s homes and are fast becoming the IoT technology of choice for aged care. We’re ready to scale our impact to support more than 100,000 people over the next 3 years. This is where you come in.
As Head of Hardware Engineering, you will be responsible for developing the next generation of our hardware platform with a focus on increased functionality and scalability. You will oversee it all, from prototyping to system validation, design for manufacture, compliance testing and volume manufacture. You will also build the team to make this happen, including recruiting people and establishing key partnerships.
Why is this the right job for you?
- You will create a product that matters. Our technology is the first line of support for older people living at home alone. With Umps in place, people can stay in their own home for longer while their family receive peace of mind.
- The scale of your impact will be big. The technology you build will be deployed in the homes of more than 100,000 people over the next 3 years, making it one of the largest IoT deployments in aged care globally.
- You won’t just be a part of our team, you will help build it. You will be the hiring manager for an additional engineering role as soon as possible (with the potential for additional hires as required), and manage partnerships which will evolve over time.
- This is the first project of many. We have a pipeline of technology, including concepts covered through provisional patents. As our business grows, you and your team will continue to develop and commercialise new hardware products.
What we’re looking for
- You will have accountability for the market-readiness of the next-generation Umps Smart Home. We’re looking for someone who has previously developed multiple complex electronics products right through to volume manufacturing.
- You will make key technology decisions about this platform. We’re looking for someone who has previously worked with low-power communications technologies, various backhaul communications technologies and has experience managing EMC compliance testing.
- You will be the primary interface with our partners, including industrial designers, engineering consultants and manufacturers. We’re looking for someone who can manage scope, budget and timelines across multiple organisations with a variety of stakeholders.
- You will be responsible for hiring key technical people. We’re looking for someone who has built engineering teams in the past.
- You will develop a system that is relied upon by older people and their carers. We’re looking for someone that has experience in safety-critical, high availability systems.
180k base + 9.5% superannuation + performance-based remuneration
This role is Melbourne based.
We all work flexibly. Please let us know how this role could be tailored for you.