Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
We are the Data Team. A collective of specialists driven by our shared mission to help establish Xero as the most insightful and trusted small business platform. Our backgrounds and work are diverse—we work on data platforms, data modelling, application development, applied research, ethics, literacy, and strategy, to name a few. At the heart of our mission is helping our colleagues and customers get value from data responsibly, on robust data platforms, with robust methods.
Applied Scientists work in cross-functional teams (engineers, designers, product managers, etc) to create AI-powered experiences. We apply machine learning to develop products that reduce toil and provide insight, allowing small businesses to focus on what matters.
About the role
There’s a myriad of job titles out there and the English language can only express so much in a couple of words. So role title aside, what we’re looking for is someone to:
- Provide leadership to cross-functional teams that build web-scale ML products
- Work with your peers and the Data Leadership Team to define the roadmap for Applied Sciences
- Identify cross-cutting opportunities to create frameworks / tooling and improve data quality
- Work with other scientists to figure out the best practices for reproducible and robust science, before documenting and evangelising them
- Keep up-to-date with the latest developments in ML, identifying opportunities for Xero to improve #beautiful products
- Be comfortable with pushing the frontiers of ML in the pursuit of delivering products, but only where absolutely necessary
- Teach colleagues around Xero about how to use data the right way
- Make sure our work is always in the best interests of our customers
- Align multiple programs of work so that they benefit each otherIdentify new ML product opportunities and work with product teams to determine if they’re worth pursuing
- Create the culture that makes people love working with us
- Mentor, manage, and develop other scientists and colleagues
What you'll bring with you
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
Xero strongly encourages employees and contractors to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to work from a Xero office, or engage in any face-to-face Xero business. Xero will work with anyone who is not vaccinated, or prefers not to disclose their vaccination status, to determine what reasonable accommodations can be provided to ensure their role can be performed safely.