Stake is looking for a Head of Legal, Risk, and Compliance to join our team at our Bondi Junction HQ, with a flexible hybrid working model.
We’re an Australian investment platform with a mission to provide a seamless and immersive experience that breaks barriers for ambitious investors. We serve a global customer base of 500,000+ investors, with more than A$2 billion in assets under administration.
More than a digital brokerage, Stake is a brand that stands for progress. This is true for our customers as well as our team members. Our working environment is energetic, collaborative and supportive – everyone is encouraged to take ownership and challenged to deliver high-quality execution.
Our internal mantra is ‘never settle’ and we all share an ambition to grow this business. This is your opportunity to join a scaleup rocketing upward to become a robust financial services company.
About this role
At our core, we are the largest international broker in Australia that is making moves into wealth management. The Head of Legal, Risk and Compliance at Stake is an experienced General Counsel, part of the senior leadership team, where they advise on regulatory, legal and compliance matters. The role is key in influencing the strategic direction of Stake and the products we release. Working cross-functionally with key stakeholders and touching many parts of our business, this is an exciting opportunity to lead the Legal, Risk and Compliance team and support in delivering on our aspirations.
The role will involve:
- being a member of the senior leadership team and influencing the organisation’s strategic direction;
- advising the business on key in-house legal, risk and compliance matters, including corporate governance, financial services regulations (AML/CTF), licensing matters, regulatory affairs, risk management and other legal matters that may arise from time to time. This role will also involve reporting regularly to management and the Board on such matters as relevant;
- leading Stake’s regulatory engagement with regulators such as ASIC, AUSTRAC and AFCA;
- managing Stake’s corporate secretarial and governance function;
- overseeing Stake’s risk management practices and governance including the insurance coverage of the business;
- managing a team of legal, compliance and financial crime professionals and being responsible for the results of the team;
- leading the planning, staffing, budgeting, changing of priorities and implementation of relevant processes related to the legal, risk and compliance function;
- developing legal capabilities in the team and the entire organisation; and
- defining a long-term vision and departmental strategy.
A bit about you
- 12+ years post-admission legal experience, either in private practice or an in-house environment, with a strong preference for candidates with experience in both;
- extensive experience in any of the following practice areas: financial services (including AML/CTF) regulation, corporate law/governance and/or technology law, with a strong preference for candidates with financial services regulation experience;
- experience managing a team of motivated legal, compliance and financial crime professionals;
- extensive experience liaising with relevant regulatory/dispute resolution bodies, including in particular: ASIC, AUSTRAC and AFCA;
- the ability to manage the team’s engagement of external advisers and to oversee annual budgeting and forecasting;
- a current NSW practising certificate;
- strong understanding of the financial services/technology sector and the legal and regulatory landscape;
- experience in risk management practices and governance; and
- confidence managing relationships with all levels of stakeholders across different teams and communicating legal matters to a non-legal audience, in particular to senior management and shareholders.
Benefits of working at Stake
At Stake you’ll have the opportunity to work with autonomy while learning from some of the best talent in the industry, playing a meaningful role in building a company that has loads of positive momentum and excitement around it.
But we also have perks. Not long ago, we proudly introduced new benefits under the Grow with Stake program. Please see the whole list on our Careers website, including:
- $2,500/year professional development allowance
- $1,000/year wellbeing allowance
- Up to 16 weeks of paid parental leave
- Childcare allowance of up to $18,000 in value over 24 months
- Extra paid leave during tough times
- Discretionary performance bonus and talent referral bonus
- Employee Share Options scheme
Stake is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We’re proactive about providing an inclusive work environment and do not discriminate based on race, religion, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status. We’re also endorsed by WORK180 as a great employer for women.
So what happens next?
Once we've received your application, we'll give it the attention it deserves and you'll hear from us either way. We’re a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer – which means we’re committed to responding to every applicant. If we think you’d be a good addition to our team, we’ll give you a call and from there, you'll cruise through our recruitment process.
To all recruitment agencies: Stake does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or directly to Stake employees. Stake is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes