Mad Paws is on a mission to make pet ownership easier. We are building Australia’s largest Pet Community and offer Pet Services, Pet Insurance & Healthy Pet Food Subscription. Mad Paws Pet Services, our core revenue stream, is the #1 marketplace for pet sitting, dog walking and pet day care; the platform allows pet owners to find pet sitters in their local area to look after their best friend when they’re not around.
Since starting in 2015, we’ve grown our community to more than 600,000 pets and 20,000 approved and verified petcare workers. We have a commercial partnership with Qantas, who also invested in the business.
The Mad Paws Pack is made up of a talented team, passionate about improving the pet industry. We work hard, whilst also making sure to never take ourselves too seriously and enjoy every minute of this exciting adventure.
Mad Paws was awarded the 14th place in Linkedin’s top 20 most sought after growth companies to work for!
About the role
We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated Lead Software Engineer to join a highly committed and experienced team. The role is a crucial component in our strategy to scale our development team, in line with the rapid growth of our overall business.
You will work closely with our CTO and help drive the technology direction of the company, as we embark on forming high performance agile teams. You will be instrumental in hiring talent, while championing strong engineering principles and processes that help the team operate efficiently.
This is a unique opportunity to work on a platform that is having meaningful real world impact at scale today, yet has tremendous scope to improve further. Strong technological execution & leadership is an integral part of this equation, this is where you come in.
As a core part of the team, you’ll be
- You are an end-to-end owner. You will participate actively in all aspects of the product life cycle; from designing, building, and delivering value for our users.
- As a Lead Software Engineer you will contribute to more than our product, you’ll help build up our team through a combination of mentoring and technical leadership
- You will be directly involved in solution finding and creating the most amazing digital experience on the market for our community of passionate pet lovers
- Contributing to the direction of our technical environment and development practices
- Helping to drive a high performance agile culture and best practices within the technology teams and across the organisation
- While your technical skills are of paramount importance in this role, being able to simplify concepts and communicate with non-technical team members and our users will also be critical to success in this role.
- Support the CTO in the key technology decisions to build for the long-term while managing roadmaps and the business’ tactical and strategic needs
What you’ll need to be successful
- You know React back to front, but you are also a broadly skilled engineer, accustomed to getting into backend (We have a mix of Node and Laravel) and doing QA to deliver end to end solutions.
- Track record leading and mentoring an engineering team, while also making significant, self-directed, and end-to-end contributions. You think beyond just the task at hand to deeply understand the ‘why’ behind what is being delivered.
- Experimentation mindset and data-driven approach to solving problems. You’ll have solid understanding of analytics and experience working with feature flagging and AB testing tools to deliver the best outcomes
- Able to work well with designers and product managers to achieve the best outcomes given a number of constraints
- Working knowledge of microservices, micro front ends, data structures
- Experience working with Isomorphic applications to achieve the best SEO results
- Experience working with cloud based infrastructure and infrastructure as a code (i.e. AWS services)
- Working knowledge of CD/CI, best software testing practices and quality assurance
- An agile mindset and the ability to adapt to changing priorities and requirements
- Pride in your work and a desire to contribute to our growth journey
- An understanding of what we’re doing (and why) and a passion to get involved
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Pet friendly office – Woof
- Flexible working hours
- Flexibility to work from home one day a week
How to apply
Please send us your CV with a cover letter including the following points ([email protected])
- Information about you and how you address the skills and requirements for the role
- The most difficult API/library/software bug you’ve squashed
- The most technically impressive thing you’ve ever built
- An example of an outcome you were directly responsible to achieve
- Links to your portfolio/GitHub profile or code samples to help us get a feel for how you write code