Note: This role strictly requires Australian working rights.
Relectrify is a high-growth venture that builds cutting-edge technology to reduce the cost and unlock extra lifetime in lithium-ion batteries. By combining innovative electronics with intelligent algorithms and data analytics, our technology allows used electric car batteries to be given a second life as energy storage systems in households, the power grid and beyond.
Relectrify was founded in 2015 out of research at the University of Melbourne. The company has since launched projects with American Electric Power, Nissan US, Volkswagen Group Germany, Vector New Zealand and 4R Energy Japan amongst other companies, and received support by leading clean energy investors including the CEFC Innovation Fund. The Environment Bureau Hong Kong, Falling Walls Germany and international utility program Free Electrons have all recognised Relectrify as a leading innovator in energy storage. Relectrify is today the global leader in full cell-level current control for battery packs, extending the lifetime of battery packs while reducing cost.
About the Team
Relectrify consists of a world-class team, who thrive on working together and solving seriously hard problems with a view to make a positive impact. Team members are given high autonomy with the ability to access support as necessary. As a venture-funded company, our focus is to rapidly enter markets where we can make a real difference.
In short, we are a group of motivated individuals rapidly deploying cutting-edge technology to make a positive impact. We also like discussing future trends, enjoying good coffee, board game evenings, and a healthy stream of positive humour.
About the Technology
Relectrify’s BMS+Inverter is a mixed power electronics and software solution, which utilises cell-level battery management systems (BMS) to provide a very high-efficiency AC output without requiring a battery inverter. Grid-compliant AC waveforms are created by accurately orchestrating a vast number of individual cell voltage contributions within a battery pack. This enables Relectrify to significantly increase battery lifetime and reduce battery cost.
Our solutions are used in capable, affordable battery storage in homes, industry, the power grids, and beyond. Relectrify forms strategic collaborations with innovative, sector-leading storage companies across the world to jointly develop and release uniquely positioned storage products.
Relectrify is looking for a highly capable individual to support our expanding patent portfolio. You will enjoy facilitating and supporting IP generation, have a deep interest in electronics and feel innate satisfaction from knowing your work makes a difference. Any team member with the right skills and attitude will have significant opportunity to define their career trajectory. This is a part-time role (1-2 days per week) where working arrangements can be flexible.
You will work directly with our CEO on tasks including:
- Support / lead the identification of relevant IP and draft/prosecute patent applications
- Assess the validity of third party patent rights and advise on infringement or litigation issues
- Support Relectrify's global, regional and country IP strategies to build a sector-recognised high-quality brand
- 3+ years experience in drafting patents (whether as patent attorney, IP engineer or similar)
- Experience and strong written skills in drafting technical patents
- A good understanding of technical aspects around electronics, software, and/or power systems
- Excellent people skills, integrity, and interest to work with a highly capable technical team.
- Full-time working rights in Australia (min. 12 months)
Nice-to-Haves - but willing to waive for promising candidates
- Completed (or in process of completing) qualification towards patent attorney
- Degree(s) in electronic or electrical engineering
- Experience in drafting IP licence agreements
- Experience in patent defence and/or pursuit claims
- Experience in the energy storage or renewable energy sector