Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you’ll make an impact
The GM Product provides strategic, commercial, and technical oversight across the relevant product groups to ensure alignment with overall Xero strategy and customer requirements to drive the execution of key projects, owning the communication with stakeholders around the globe, and building empathy for and understanding of your users, customers, and markets.
As GM Product, you will be responsible for teams of Xeros that create value for our small businesses and our partners by building and enhancing the products that make the magic happen. You will provide oversight across your portfolio, ensuring the right things are built at the right time and through doing so you’ll contribute to Xero achieving its goals.
What you’ll do
● Be responsible for our In-Product-Communications portfolio, including the Xero Dashboard (that’s where customers land when they log in to Xero - the highest traffic in-product page)
● Develop and deliver a product strategy, key priorities and outcomes and a high level roadmap in collaboration with EGM Product, Product Managers, Product Strategy and internal stakeholders to meet Xero’s strategic objectives
● Regularly review this strategy, priorities and outcomes, updating it to reflect changes in Xero’s strategy, market changes, and lessons learned from customers and initiatives
● In collaboration with design and product teams, transform product priorities & opportunities into actionable outcomes, and help ensure the teams are generating ideas & experiments that can validate our assumptions & improve our chances of success. You help the team move with pace & take into account strategic, commercial & marketing considerations
● Ensuring that teams are maximising the unique opportunities & design patterns that mobile devices present to address customer needs
● Establish clear quantitative metrics for your portfolio that clearly measure product success (both in product performance and with product marketing). These metrics are well understood by the relevant teams across Xero
● Be accountable for the commercial success of the capabilities you create in the products you are responsible for
● Define, own and communicate potential opportunities in and around your portfolio (including development of business cases where needed) to best capture new customers, improve engagement and retention
● Ensure that your Product Managers are using product practices that include closeness to the customer (with appropriate research and contact), using data to drive decisions, have clear OKRs which balance all aspects of the work (including supporting our existing systems & improving our technology) & clearly tie back to the business strategy and priorities
● Build and lead effective teams of product managers, product owners, developers and analysts that continually improve and deliver value to our customers. You lift the bar on how we do things, always improving our practices
● Contribute to the improvement of Xero’s product leadership capability & challenge the status quo on priorities and practices
● Work with local go-to-market teams to ensure they understand the product strategy, the team understands their challenges and there is good information flow between them and your teams
● Work closely with your peers to deliver quality software that solves real customer problems
● Bridge technical and business worlds as you lead strong and productive relationships with stakeholders to understand and deliver on market needs and priorities, and evangelise our product strategy, OKRs & practices
● Manage the day-to-day execution of all product activities for the purpose of meeting the product and Xero’s goals
● Establish and maintain good working relationships throughout the wider organisation, particularly Engineering & Architecture, Design, Marketing, Regions, Sales and Customer Experience.
● Cultivate a fun, rewarding, innovative and results-driven culture that lives and breathes our Xero values
What you’ll bring with you
● Previous experience in leading product managers, people leaders and forming high-performing teams
● Previous experience in a large scale product transformation role (highly desired)
● Platform product management experience (highly desired)
● Previous experience in achieving key business outcomes through leading product teams
● Proven experience collaborating with a diverse stakeholder group in matrix organisation to realise commercial outcomes
● Solid track record of addressing customer needs through innovative use of technology & practices, improving on these over time
● Proven ability to influence outcomes at all levels of the organisation
● Extensive experience working with software development
● Demonstrated experience in defining OKRs, priorities & high level roadmaps
● Ownership and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
● Building of effective relationships across all levels of the business
● Advocate for building quality software that are customer centric & focused on problems / key outcomes
● Ability to break down complex problems, deliver pragmatic solutions and able to manage changing priorities - thrives by being able to make the ambiguous more certain
● Strong understanding of business software solutions
● Broad knowledge of technology and software development
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.