Vow is a food company -- a very different one. We’re creating real meat products from animal cells, instead of the animal itself. We’re bringing together cutting edge innovations in science, technology, culinary and design to make sustainable food that’s both irresistible and accessible for billions of people worldwide.
The work that we are doing is a critical step on the path to creating a future where humans can exist in sustainable harmony with our planet, something we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren. We’re not only making food that is great for humans and great for the earth, but also creating food that is the most delicious, desirable choice of any food available. This is a mission we believe in deeply.
In our short history since founding in April 2019, we’ve grown to be a team of 13 and gained a lot of attention for our world-first: the first kangaroo meat cultured in a lab (Wall Street Journal, The Australian and Channel 9). We’ve now grown 7 species and counting, with an even more ambitious plan through 2021 and beyond. We’re backed by Australia’s most prolific VC firm Blackbird Ventures, alongside a long list of prominent investors and partners.
As a Senior Scientist at Vow, you'll be hands on in the lab working to overcome a number of challenges to make this exciting future possible. You will be working on improving our cost effective and animal free media to grow food from our library of cells.You will collaborate with high performance scientists, chefs, software engineers and designers to define the links between cell biology, growth media and the food produced at the end.
One day you’ll be working on primary cell culture, working with the cells of new and novel species, another day you will be developing custom media formulations to be executed by high-throughput robotics. Our problems are more than just discovery -- you will be working in a fast-paced environment on the nexus of automation, data science and biology, growing real products to put in the hands of customers as soon as humanly possible, all without any harm to animals.
You will work directly with our Chief Scientific Officer and other members of our small but growing team to do high quality science. You’ll be autonomous and empowered to find better ways to do things. A ‘hacker’ mentality, or non-traditional pathway into science are both a big plus for us.
The position is based in Sydney, Australia.
What you’ll do:
- Continually improve our high throughput, robotic media screening pipeline
- Robotic process automation, protocol designer etc
- Develop new high throughput screening assays
- Developing novel media formulations
- Formulating optimal media for seed trains, proliferation and differentiation of different cell types
- Work with our engineering and data team to develop and validate high throughput analytic pipelines
- Manage and mentor team of highly motivated, passionate scientists
In return, we will support you with:
- We’ll work tirelessly to provide you a productive, safe, supportive and collaborative work environment.
- Active transparency to let you actively contribute to every facet of the business.
- Access to gym facilities.
- Constant opportunity for growth, weekly 1:1s, and mentorship from an experienced and dedicated leadership team.
- No legacy overheads -- the freedom to define the best approach to solving problems, both technically and organisationally.
- Massive room to grow in an exciting, emerging industry.
- High-stakes work that matters deeply to the company and the world. A mission for you to sink your skills and passion into.
- Above all you are mission aligned: you want to apply your skills in science to build a better food system and a brighter future. For some of us this is about animal welfare, for others it’s saving the environment or caring deeply about developing incredibly delicious foods - all different perspectives on the same mission.
- You’re proactive and enjoy thinking about the big picture.
- You’re kind, curious and enjoy learning new things.
- You’re product focused. You think about the perspectives of end users even when it might not be expected of you.
- You care that you’re building something that solves a problem and helps end users.
- You’re high-performance, you’re inspired and you inspire others.
Required experience / skills:
- Completion of a M.Sc. or Ph.D. in a relevant field (biology or biotechnology)
- Minimum of six years post-graduate (M.Sc.) or three years post-doctoral (Ph.D.) experience
- Project management experience
- A demonstrated capacity to design, perform and analyse experiments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership experience
Ideally you also have:
- Experience with mammalian cell culture
- Hands on experience with the design and use of large-scale bioreactors
- Experience in immunofluorescent labelling of cells, imaging and analysis
- Experience in data science
- Proficiency in statistical analysis tools
- Publication of original research in refereed journals
- Applicants with a proven track-record of product and/or process development will be viewed favourably
Ultimately this role will be shaped around the right candidate. If you love the mission and want to work on some of the most exciting and impactful problems on the planet today, we want to speak to you.