We’re hiring a General Manager to lead our first facility and the operations of building our second facility.
At Bardee, our ambition is to reshape the global food system. To do this, we breed billions of insects 🐛 to transform food waste 🥗 into insect protein for animal feed 🐶 and fertiliser 🌲 in our world-leading vertical farming system ~ learn more about what we do here.
In 2022, we aim to divert 20,000 tonnes of food waste from landfill, and 10x our production volumes of insect protein and fertiliser going into sustainable animal feed and fertiliser products.
We’re seeking a strategic and operationally excellent leader to help us achieve this🕵🏽♀️
In your first nine months at Bardee, you will:
- Lead our on-site team leaders at our first facility, the Moonbase, to ensure we consistently achieve our weekly targets.
- Transition the Moonbase from 8 hours, 5 days per week operations to 20 hours, 6 days per week.
- Plan and lead the operations and logistics of our second facility commissioning, Rover, with the help of our CTO.
- Allocate resources strategically across both facilities.
- Bring consistency to our food waste operations as we scale, working with our data and software development team.
- Build our product distribution operations to ensure product reaches our customers in a timely manner from both facilities.
- Grow the site teams as we scale, and shape the work environment.
In your first nine months you’ll help shape Bardee’s growth path and your success will define what’s critical to tackle next.
We’re doing something truly special at Bardee. You’ll be joining a formidable team of insect-obsessed, solutions-focused, big picture thinkers who thrive on constantly innovating.
In two years we’ve evolved from breeding flies in a stinky bucket, with popsicle sticks in the backyard - yes, this happened 😂, to pitching tents on a university campus, to commissioning our 2,500 sqm automated facility. Now we’re preparing to open new and even larger facilities across Australia.
Without giving too much away, our science team achieves world-first results and has smashed our moonshot goals for 2021… by September 🤯
You’ll be doing work that matters to you, Bardee and the world. The success of our General Manager will directly impact our ability to scale, cohesion of our teams working onsite and the logistics of our product operations.
Everyone at Bardee owns a slice of the company, and your vesting schedule and share options are always accessible and transparent.
Accountability to nature
We’re building a sustainable future we'll be proud to hand on to future generations. Every tonne of Bardee’s insect protein offsets 50 tonnes of CO2e emissions.
Speed with integrity
We’re a startup that gets stuff done. And when we decide to do something, we do it well. We love to move quickly to delight our customers.
Live passionately, be formidable
We set ambitious goals and we’re infinitely resourceful to achieve them. Sometimes that looks like chopping tuna heads into insect food in a uni car park.
What we’re looking for in our General Manager:
- You’re obsessed with creating the sustainable circular economy the world needs.
- You thrive on high-stakes work and tackling multiple problems at once; if anything, it energises you.
- You have demonstrated excellence in both building operations from scratch AND leadership of multiple teams or stakeholders.
- You are both a leader and an executor, you’re not afraid to get your hands dirty, and jump in to get things done as needed.
- You’re an elite organiser. Timelines, product distribution, liaising with external contractors and companies will be a walk in the park.
- By nature you are a people person.
- You’re a science-communicator. You understand enough about biology and agriculture that you can understand concepts clearly after spending time learning about them.
- You think like a scientist - testing hypotheses, eliminating bad ideas and rethinking your beliefs to create new solutions.
- You’re seeking an opportunity to do the best work of your life at Bardee.
What you’ll work on
Outcome 1: Moonbase (facility 1) reaches full capacity with teams working cohesively
We’re currently scaling our food waste processing capacity, and are on-track to reach this by the end of March, at the latest. Multiple teams need to work together, succinctly to make this happen and you’ll be the centre point of driving this. We have extremely capable team leaders, and you’ll be working directly with them to make this happen.
Outcome 2: Rover (facility 2) is commissioned & at full-capacity by mid-2022
You’ll own the operations of commissioning this build and bringing it to full functioning capacity, whilst working closely with both founders and other team members. This includes building out the onsite teams, logistical operations of the build, solidifying the site inputs (food waste, supplies, etc.) and product distribution before launch.
Outcome 3: The inputs and outputs of each facility run like clockwork
This means implementing lean manufacturing where: (a) food waste will never be in short supply, (b) product distribution processes will be developed so that product is delivered in a timely manner, (c) our teams have everything onsite to do what they need to achieve our goals.
Ready to hit the ground running?
If you think you’re a fit for this foundational role at Bardee we can’t wait to hear from you.
Applications will close as soon as we find the right person, and we’ll be evaluating applications as they come in.
We believe that building a diverse and inclusive team is critical to Bardee’s success. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. Come as you are.
Email Maisy, Chief of Staff at [email protected]