Note: This role strictly requires Australian working rights.
Relectrify is a high-growth venture that builds cutting-edge technology to reduce the cost and unlock extra lifetime in lithium-ion batteries. By combining innovative electronics with intelligent algorithms and data analytics, our technology creates more affordable and longer-lasting energy storage systems for households, the power grid and beyond.
Relectrify was founded in 2015 out of research at the University of Melbourne. The company has since launched projects with Nissan and American Electric Power amongst others, and received support by leading clean energy investors including the CEFC Innovation Fund. The Environment Bureau Hong Kong, Falling Walls Germany and international utility program Free Electrons have all recognised Relectrify as a leading innovator in energy storage.
About the Team
Relectrify consists of a world-class team, who thrive on working together and solving seriously hard problems with a view to make a positive impact. Team members are given high autonomy with the ability to access support as necessary. As a venture-funded company, our focus is to rapidly enter markets where we can make a real difference.
In short, we are a group of motivated individuals rapidly deploying cutting-edge technology to make a positive impact. We also like discussing future trends, enjoying good coffee, board game evenings, and a healthy stream of positive humour.
About the Technology
Relectrify’s advanced battery management system (BMS) and inverter comprises of three parts: hardware electronics controlling power flows inside battery packs; embedded software algorithms that inform how the hardware electronics operate; and data analytics to allows customers to monitor their batteries and allow continuous improvement of Relectrify’s algorithms. Together Relectrify uses these to notably increase battery performance and lifetime.
Capable, affordable battery storage unlocks value for customers from farms to solar houses, power grids, and beyond. Relectrify therefore actively forms strategic collaborations with innovative, sector-leading storage companies across the world to jointly develop and release uniquely positioned storage products.
We are looking to bring into the Relectrify team a highly capable and self-motivated individual. This is a System Engineer (Electrical) role with an emphasis on model-based system design. The responsibilities involve developing and maintaining system models, simulations and test harnesses in the Matlab/Simulink environment along with providing support for embedded software integration and testing.
You will need to become an expert on our product and technology, especially around high-level control philosophy and engineering process. As our solutions are centered around power electronics and energy storage solutions, a background in electronics/electrical engineering and experience in renewable energy system operation is preferred.
The role is ideally suited for someone with programming/scripting experience to be able to work with the embedded software team on electronics control and algorithm integration.
Some of the specific tasks of the role include:
- Design and develop safety and control functions for our BESS solutions
- Design and maintain test cases and harnesses for system models
- Create and manage requirements from certification and high-level design documents
- Optimising and improving modeling, design and testing processes
- Documentation of design, research and testing
- Experience with electronics/control system design and simulation
- Experience with a scripting language: Python, Matlab or equivalent
- Hacker in action, perfectionist at heart (you care for your craft and get “stuff” done)
- You love rising to the challenge of learning new skills and solving new problems
- Design and develop with testability in mind, you know the value of automated testing
- Australian full-time working rights
Nice-to-Haves - but willing to waive for promising candidates
- 2+ years experience as an electrical/system engineer or equivalent
- Experience with electrical system modeling in Simulink or equivalent
- Experience with C/C++ and embedded development
- Experience with Power Systems and Control Engineering
- Experience with battery testing and BMS design
- Experience with building and maintaining safety-critical systems
- High independence, with a clear focus on delivery and quality.
- Remuneration includes an opportunity to earn company share options, offering you an ownership stake in Relectrify.
- Modern office in Abbotsford with bottomless coffee, office Spotify, and an increasing population of office plants
- Flexibility in working hours to enable fitting in with other aspects of life, whether family, (kite) surfing, or anything other.
- Flexibility in leave to enable team members to define their own remuneration-leave optimum.
- Pay-you-back scheme on relevant online courses and other training.
- We encourage you attending key conferences and events, and cover associated expenses.
- We've got plenty of space and a passion for personal projects, be it electronics, food computer building, or home brewing.
- Continuously rotating tea/coffee collection as well as cold drink collection for Friday end-of-week team wind-downs.