Spriggy helps Aussie families teach their kids about money and makes it possible to manage it all from your pocket. We provide parents with a safe and simple way to pay their kids pocket money, set chores, manage savings, monitor spending, pay for school lunches and invest for their kids' future.
Spriggy launched in late 2016 and has had over 500,000 members join and a 4.8 star rating average from over 20,000 reviews. We recently closed our Series B round of $35m and are backed by high-calibre Australian investors, including Mike Cannon-Brookes' Grok Ventures and NAB ventures.
We’re a rapidly growing team, with people from diverse backgrounds that include engineering, design, physics, genetics, medicine, sports, ex-founders and mathematics. We’re all passionate problem solvers and we truly care about how people learn to use money.
Spriggy has experienced rapid growth over the last 5 years and we’re now looking for a talented Senior Java or Python Software Engineer. You’ll join the Platform team to help build our internal product and core services across the business. This is a platform built on Python with a view to migrate to Java. We're looking for engineers with experience in one and are comfortable learning the other. This is a hands on role where you'll get to build the platform that powers Spriggy.
- You are excited by ownership of the solution and want to be part of the process. You don’t want to just pump out code, you want to be part of the process of building great products. You want to take an idea from beginning to end and work with experts in various fields to find solutions to problems and bring those solutions to life.
- You believe in starting small to achieve big goals. You want to achieve big things, but you know the journey is about dozens of small wins. You’re not afraid of building the smallest thing possible, as a step towards the bigger prize.
- You love feedback from real users and believe in short and sharp iterations to get this feedback as quickly as possible. You can’t wait to get your product out to customers to hear what they have to say. You know that a feedback loop is critical to building great products and will help drive the direction of the product.
- You are technology agnostic and believe in using the right tools for the job. You’re keen and willing to learn new technologies as needed. Of course, you have your favourite languages but you’re willing to give others a go. We primarily use Python, experience is desirable but not required if you’re willing to learn.
- You understand that the process of building great software goes beyond technical considerations. You understand the importance of working with stakeholders to get the complete picture when decision making. You’re not afraid to ask questions when things aren’t clear to you and you put all of this context together to drive your decision making process.
- You love the startup environment or are keen to see what it’s like. If you’ve worked in a startup before you know what it’s like and love it. If you haven’t, you’re keen to try it out and see how a successful startup operates.
About the role:
- Work collaboratively within a cross-functional team led by a Product Manager. Team members may come from disciplines such as engineering, product, design, operations or analytics and operate with a sense of shared purpose.
- You’ll primarily be working on APIs, business logic, integration and server back-end work. You’ll use your Java experience to build new features while maintaining existing Python code so flexibility to work in multiple languages is essential. This is a hands on role, so you’ll spend most of your day within the code.
- Collaborating with the engineers to develop scalable solutions to technical problems.
- Collaborate closely with stakeholders in short, iterative sprints to achieve business objectives. We deliver to production at the end of each sprint. You’ll be working with the stakeholders to define short, concise user stories and deliver on them at the end of each sprint.
- Review and improve existing systems (Agile, CI/CD, Devops, Automation). We’re always looking for ways to improve our practices and you’ll help drive these while ensuring business objectives are met.
- Ensure that systems comply with Spriggy’s security policies and procedures. We take security seriously at Spriggy and we’ll train you to ensure we comply to the standards expected by our customers.
- Collaborate with the engineering team by sharing your knowledge through one-on-one sessions and completing shared initiatives.
- Confidence in Java or Python. We are transitioning away from Python but there will be Python maintenance work involved.
- Confidence in AWS or a desire to learn it.
- Experience in stakeholder communication and collaboration.
- 5+ years of industry experience. Payments processing experience is a bonus.
What you’ll get:
- Work at one of Australia’s fastest growing Fintechs alongside some of the best and brightest.
- An excellent culture, we encourage collaboration, growth and learning amongst the team.
- A competitive salary.
- An ability to directly influence the direction of the Spriggy product and business.
- An autonomous and flexible role where you will be trusted with key tasks.
- An opportunity to have real impact and be part of a company with purpose.
- A flexible workplace environment.
Our team's diverse backgrounds ensure that our products talk to the needs of all Australian families. To continue to be able to do this well, we encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds to apply.