Koala’s mission is to become the smartest way to buy high-quality furniture online. Combining customer-centric products, a world-class technology and fulfilment platform, and incredible customer service, we are changing the way people buy and enjoy furniture.
Why we have this role @ Koala
We are seeking a highly experienced Product Designer to work with the Case Goods Design Team for Koala and to help design and develop future products for the brand, with the aspiration to create better furniture for the world.
The Design team is responsible for transforming research and insights about customer needs and behaviours into product designs that will deliver high customer value and commercial value for the business. They do this by combining creative problem solving with rapid customer testing and design iteration.
What key responsibilities does this role have @ Koala?
- Demonstrate practical knowledge of design for manufacture with a key focus on furniture items
- Proven ability and willingness to incorporate rapid prototyping and iteration into the design process
- Work with a team to take design projects from concept to final design and completion for residential furniture goods
- Consider the cost of materials and package size throughout the design process
- Concept generation and the efficient creation of testable representations
- 3D Modeling and CAD rendering in SolidWorks and other programs
- Communicate early stage design thinking through concept sketching
- Work across products in the living room, bedroom, home office and future areas of the home
- Collaborate with Product Development, Engineers and Design Team on new and existing projects, Taking into consideration Australian, Japanese and Korean markets
- Produce physical models and prototypes that meaningfully impact design direction
- Present design concepts to the design team and other departments within Koala
- Communicate effectively with the Lead Designer to express the rationale for design decisions, by utilising insights and market research to maximise product attractiveness
- Deliver outputs in line with deliverable dates while managing multiple projects at once
- Understand the product strategy, seek clarification when needed and incorporate it into day to day work
- Identify and escalate risks or key issues to the Lead Designer during the design process
- 5+ years experience in Industrial Design in a retail furniture or e-commerce environment
- A tertiary qualification in Industrial Design
- You are a designer that is constantly inspired—motivating those around you through your passion and drive for what you do
- Experience in designing furniture for the Australian market
- A high level of competence in using Solidworks, Adobe Suite, Keyshot or other rendering software
- Proactive, self-sufficient, autonomous, collaborative and work well under pressure
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Comfortable with a dynamic and flexible, ever changing design environment
- Confidence in presenting designs to internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in creating residential furniture design - timber joinery, upholstered items is a plus but not essential
Treehouse Perks and Privileges…
Koala is only great when its employees are happy — and we’re one happy mob!
- Flexible working - The freedom and autonomy to do your best work the way that works for you.
- Take a break - Generous time off and parental leave to help keep your work life balance, balanced.
- Fully stocked kitchen - With an emphasis on healthy, local and organic produce (outside of Covid!)
- Pet-friendly - The Koala Treehouses are as pet-friendly as they get!
- Surprise & delight - The two-word combo at the core of everything we do. All Koalas can expect to enjoy free Koala products with ‘mates rates’ for your friends and fam.
- Support & wellbeing - Our employee experience respects and embraces all families, formed, found and evolving. You’ll have access to our Employee Assistance Program, which includes unlimited sessions for financial, work, relationship, family or wellbeing support.
- Accelerate your career - We’ve partnered with RMIT where all of our Koala’s receive a discount, unlimited access to LinkedIn Learning and Koala facilitated resources.
- Community & connection - We believe that simply doing ‘no harm’ isn’t good enough So, how are we doing our part? BCorp Certified, WWF Partnership, Bushfire Relief Days, a member of SoftLanding and so much more.
All in all, the Koala Kommunity is a great place to hang out and belong to!
Koalities we look for…
At Koala, we do things a little differently and we don’t shy away from the fact that we expect a lot from our employees! We want you to challenge expectations, always look to make a difference and give us something different from the norm. We want people that bring great energy, that have a long-game focus and are always curious to find new angles and approaches to the way we work. We're a team full of entrepreneurial spirit and have a relentless focus on 'what's next' but while always reviewing 'what's been done' and learning, growing and adapting. We're bloody confident, but NEVER arrogant and we adapt to change like Steve Smith under a short ball. Honesty and selflessness drive everything we do, as well as a total focus on exceeding our customers’ expectations. So if you feel like this could be you... well what the bloody hell are you waiting for? Drop us a line, and let's see what you've got! ;)
There’s no such thing as a ‘perfect’ candidate, Koala is a place where everyone has opportunity. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.
We’re an equal opportunity employer, and recognize that a diverse workforce is crucial to our success as a business.
* Recruiters, sending you love and light, but we got this and won’t be accepting unsolicited CVs.