Vow is a food company -- a very different one. We’re creating real meat products from animal cells, instead of the animal itself. We’re bringing together cutting edge innovations in science, technology, culinary and design to make sustainable food that’s both irresistible and accessible for billions of people worldwide.
The work that we are doing is a critical step on the path to creating a future where humans can exist in sustainable harmony with our planet, something we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren. We’re not only making food that is great for humans and great for the earth, but also creating food that is the most delicious, desirable choice of any food available. This is a mission we believe in deeply.
In our short history since founding in April 2019, we’ve grown to be a team of 13 and gained a lot of attention for our world-first: the first kangaroo meat cultured in a lab (Wall Street Journal, The Australian and Channel 9). We’ve now grown 7 species and counting, with an even more ambitious plan through 2021 and beyond. We’re backed by Australia’s most prolific VC firm Blackbird Ventures, alongside a long list of prominent investors and partners.
As Vow's Head of Operations you will be responsible for how we operationalise our business by both building the foundations (i.e. build out our facilities, own inventory and procurement processes, manage financials), as well as shaping how we scale (i.e. build the Operations organisation, own analytics and business intelligence, lead expansions and operations experiments)
You're a fixer - Vow's very own Superhero. You're wired to uncover and then solve the complex problems hidden from view, dealing with unblocking all aspects of the business, you love having the autonomy to turn a young scrappy startup into a hyper-growth, well-oiled machine and will be empowered to do so. Ultimately you will form the backbone of the company, and deeply enable our incredibly important mission.
What you'll do:
- Define and shape Vow's culture and vision.
- Lead the design, build-out and operations of our new facility.
- Own the budget, modelling and financial forecasting.
- Manage all aspects of our supply chain, logistics, and business infrastructure: inventory, procurement, building better processes that scale with us.
- Work directly with the CEO to establish and iterate processes and policies across every part of the business.
- Work with CCO to prioritise and execute an operational roadmap that helps achieve the commercial goals of the company.
- Work with, and learn from, our world-class biology, hardware, design and culinary teams, embed these valuable perspectives into your work and produce outcomes that delight our customers and grow our business.
In return, we will support you with:
- We’ll work tirelessly to provide you a productive, safe, supportive and collaborative work environment.
- Active transparency to let you actively contribute to every facet of the business.
- Access to gym facilities.
- No legacy overheads -- the freedom to define the best approach to solving problems, both technically and organisationally.
- High-stakes work that matters deeply to the company and the world. A mission for you to sink your skills and passion into.
- Opportunities for meaningful ownership including equity position in the company.
- You're mission aligned, and care that you’re building something that solves huge problems.
- You are great at managing all of the moving pieces in a project and rarely let things slip through the cracks.
- You are intimidatingly organised and raise the bar for everyone you work with.
- You are proactive and thrive on ambiguity in the rapidly evolving world of a startup.
- You are kind, curious and enjoy learning new things.
Required experience / skills:
- 7-10+ years of deep, hands-on management of operational functions that includes a combination of the following: operations, business analytics, commercialisation, fundraising and project management.
- Unparalleled business judgment and critical thinking skills with the ability to use data to quickly establish highest value priorities and develop a strategy to pursue them.
- Experience working closely and communicating effectively with internal and external stakeholders in an ever-changing, rapid growth environment with tight deadlines.
- Quantitative data analysis, deep actionable insights, modelling.
- Strong experience building and managing teams.
- You have experience navigating and influencing novel regulatory channels/affairs across multiple jurisdictions - ultimately accelerating a quick and effective pathway to market for new products.
This is without a doubt the most exciting time to join Vow, . This is an opportunity to work deeply in an exciting problem space, making a direct impact on a once-in-a-lifetime technology that will solve some of the biggest existential problems for humanity - feeding a huge future population without destroying earth and our civilisation. You have the chance to truly define and shape your own job description here, shaping all of the operational aspects of the business, and taking advantage of every career move that has gotten you to this point.