Baraja is changing the world of self-driving cars, through the invention of a new type of LiDAR, called Spectrum-Scan™ which delivers the highest performance available in the smallest possible device on the market.
Originally founded in Sydney, Australia we are growing our Engineering team. We are already in production and use case, working with some of the leading automotive manufacturers globally. Last year we closed a $42M A round with Sequoia, Blackbird and Main Sequence Venture Partners.
About the role
We are looking for an Optical Engineer to join a progressive environment, focused across multiple priorities being optics design, product development, optical testing and maintenance of optical systems to required specifications.
Working within a dynamic and growing team, high levels of creative thinking and collaboration are required.
This role reports directly to the Optical Team Leader/Product Development Manager.
Inside the role
- Develop optical designs and simulations for next generation product using Zemax
- Create tools and automate tasks using Zemax macros and Python
- Assemble and characterise proof of concept and prototype systems
- Perform product design reviews for new opto-mechanical systems
- Engage in design for manufacturing analysis on optical components and systems to ensure manufacturability and assemblability
- Use international standards to create optical component drawings in Solidworks and engage in supplier technical discussions
- Work with quality management to investigate and analyse technical issues arising from current optical systems and design improvements if needed
- Perform cost reduction analysis on existing and new optical assemblies
- Design for and test variation and repeatability of optical system performance to expected environmental variants
- Tertiary qualifications in Physics or Optical Engineering
- Experience with Zemax or similar (1 year minimum)
- Experience with Physical beam propagation and non-sequential modelling
- Experience with Python and Zemax macros
- Experience with SolidWorks
- Experience with product design (3 years minimum)
- Experience in Free Space optics design and experiments
- Experience in manufacturing and quality control or reliability
- Experience in Fiber Optics experiments
- 5+ years’ experience in an optical industry
- Experience in automotive industry or other highly regulated industry
- Familiar with the agile methodology
Be part of a high-performance team
We work toward our goals by being in constant communication in person and through a range of technologies. We also have big ears for feedback from customers to help us continually improve the Baraja experience. We are pretty good at what we do (but definitely not perfect), so you’ll be learning from and working with a top-flight team on a mission to be better every day.
What matters to us
We believe that our culture is one of our most important assets and we’ve wrapped it up with three key values that we do our best to live up to every day:
- Hustle to deliver on hard and meaningful problems - Passion to achieve. Resilience & learning. What's the next challenge?
- Build the machine that builds the machine - It’s not enough to design amazing products, we need to design the means to manufacture these products, at scale.
- Develop sustained high performance - Great teams make great things. They also respectfully challenge each other to reach the next milestone.
What are you waiting for? If this role excites you, we’re keen to have a chat!