Who are we?
Sonder is an on-demand support network that helps enterprise and university partners support their people across a spectrum of needs from psychological to physical, preventative to responsive. We are tech enabled for support at scale, people supported for help in person.
Sonder was launched in 2017 to provide on-demand support to international students based in Australia. Today we support over 150,000 members at 40 Universities across ANZ and a fast growing list of blue chip enterprise partners.
Founded by former military, government and technology experts, our purpose is to help people live their lives with confidence.
What can we offer you?
Make an impact and help shape our future.
You will have the flexibility and freedom to influence the development of one of Australia’s fastest growing businesses. This is a unique opportunity for an experienced corporate lawyer to join us in a diverse role. As our first full time in house counsel, you will have the opportunity to help shape best practice while growing with us as we scale domestically and internationally.
What is the opportunity?
As Senior Legal Counsel you will be responsible for:
- Supporting commercial deal structuring, negotiations and agreement drafting and implementation
- Supporting investor relations and related capital raising efforts
- Managing ongoing corporate governance and legal compliance requirements
- Early identification, advice and resolution of legal and compliance risks, effective management of contracting requirements
- Supporting service distribution, revenue generation and compliance with relevant legislation, regulations and best practice corporate governance standards
- Supporting and enabling domestic and international growth, while mitigating a range of risks
- Reviewing legal contracts and agreements between Sonder and third-parties and advising the business and executive on any legal risks, liabilities etc. associated with deals/contracts
- Reviewing marketing, advertising and promotional materials for compliance with relevant advertising, privacy, consumer law etc.
- Reviewing employment and employee option agreements prepared by HR
- Managing Sonder’s IP strategy, including liaising with external firms
- Creating, implementing and managing corporate governance processes and procedures as required to ensure compliance with relevant legislative requirements
- Reviewing employee practices to ensure that these practices comply with internal company policies and any relevant regulations and legislative requirements
- Instructing and liaising with external law firms in relation to more specialist work
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated with an ability to work with minimal direction and within a complex and dynamic environment. You will be a strong team player with excellent leadership skills.
You will have drive, initiative and the ability to thrive in a small but high growth team, in a fast paced, ever changing startup environment. You will enjoy being an integral part of a “for-purpose” company helping our members feel safe every day.
You will have:
- 5+ years experience qualified and practising
- Advanced commercial law experience in Australia
- Experience with employment law
- Familiarity with corporate governance requirements
- Strong drafting skills
- Commercial acumen
- Australian practising certificate (unrestricted)
- Bachelor of Law (LLB) or Juris Doctor or equivalent qualification
It’s helpful to have:
- Experience working in-house
- Experience in technology and intellectual property law
- Experience in data privacy and consumer law
- Experience supporting fundraising
If this sounds like the role for you, hurry up and apply now because we can’t wait to meet you!
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Police Check and Working With Children Check.