We’re looking for an exceptional product design lead to scale our product design function as Spriggy grows from Australia’s most loved pocket money app, to a platform of products. You will be responsible for the delivery of product design across the business and scaling this function as Spriggy grows.
Spriggy is transforming from a standalone pocket money product with >500,000 members to a platform helping Aussie families with School payments and Investments. We’ll continue to scale our product offering and you’ll be leading the charge on our efforts to design product experiences that solve problems for our Aussie families.
We expect you to be a first principle based thinker, to be able to scale product design practice and find the right people as Spriggy aims to grow to millions of users worldwide.
Spriggy helps Aussie families teach their kids about money and makes it possible to manage it all from your pocket. We provide parents with a safe and simple way to pay their kids pocket money, set chores, manage savings, monitor spending, pay for school lunches and invest for their kids' future.
Spriggy launched in late 2016 and has had over 500,000 members join and a 4.8 star rating average from over 20,000 reviews. We recently closed our Series B round of $35m and are backed by high-calibre Australian investors, including Mike Cannon-Brookes' Grok Ventures and NAB ventures.
We’re a rapidly growing team, with people from diverse backgrounds that include engineering, design, physics, genetics, medicine, sports, ex-founders and mathematics. We’re all passionate problem solvers and we truly care about how people learn to use money.
This role is going to be hands-on, with the expectation that you scale to be the leader of our product design function as Spriggy grows. To successfully do this, we have 2 key expectations of potential candidates.
1) We expect that you have shipped B2C consumer products and can speak literately to how you have achieved this from a first principles approach.
2) We expect that you have management experience and can competently demonstrate ability to scale product design practice and process i.e. rituals and feedback sessions, mentoring on design process and design system governance.
Key skills and traits to succeed in this role:
- You take a principle based approach to how you solve design problems by ruthlessly focusing on the problem at hand.
- You have worked with and can confidently oversee the management and scaling of a design system for mobile products.
- You have demonstrated the ability to hire other product designers or UX researchers in the past and can speak to best practices for finding great talent.
- You have demonstrated the ability to mentor and help grow the skills of other product designers in the past and can speak to how you achieved this.
- You have a framework for solving product design problems that starts with the problem, focuses on research and produces lightweight solutions that test your assumptions such as prototypes.
- You have a framework for talking to customers and collecting qualitative data to inform your decision making.
- You’re comfortable navigating quantitative information to help inform your understanding of the problem and how you design to solve the problem at hand.
- You’re comfortable working with product managers and engineers in a cross disciplinary team to solve problems.
- You’re comfortable working with the leadership team to discuss resource allocation and can competently present a business case that’s assessing the ROI of specific investments you think we need.
In the first 3-6 months you will have:
- Led the delivery of multiple features to market across our product suite.
- Take ownership of the multi-product design system to ensure consistency across our product suite.
- Worked as a manager and mentor with other product designers.
- Implemented design practices and processes across our product teams to improve quality.
- Familiarise yourself with our product research approach and have made recommendations on how to improve our approach.
- Put your first business case together for hiring and be thinking about how to scale your team of product designers.
- Made a recommendation as to how we should approach UX research across our suite of products.
And beyond you will:
- Lead the resourcing of future product design requirements as Spriggy grows and we launch more products and features.
- Have iterated to improve the product design process and practices that your team of product designers follow.
- Have built your team to deliver at speed across multiple products.
- Create a framework to measure the success of product design across the business.
- Shape and evangelize our product design philosophy within the business.
What you’ll get:
- The opportunity to build one of Australia’s next tech unicorn alongside an exceptional team
- The opportunity to shape the future of money for young Australians.
- Excellent culture, we encourage collaboration, growth and learning amongst the team
- Competitive salary and consideration for equity
- A dedicated work from home set up and annual training budget
- An ability to directly influence the direction of the Spriggy products and business
- An autonomous and flexible role where you will be trusted with key tasks
Our team's diverse backgrounds ensure that our products talk to the needs of all Australian families. To continue to be able to do this well, we encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds to apply.