Who we are
99designs is a global creative platform that makes it easy for designers and clients to work together to make designs they love. We bring opportunities to designers globally through design contests and direct project work, and we have a community of designers located in 192 countries.
Why join now?
99designs are now entering another exciting period of growth with our acquisition by Vistaprint. What are we all about? We’re a friend to small businesses & well... we’re all about printing! Such as custom ordered marketing collateral, coming together with 99designs' global creative community means bringing beautiful design to more people & an end to end printed service–it makes complete sense.
99designs will continue to do our thing, as we always have, but we now have greater resources to support and really drive our scaling. Also platform complexity creates interesting and substantial design challenges to solve, and there are individual growth opportunities that will continue into the future.
The Design team includes Product Designers and UX Researchers, who work across the end to end experience for both clients and creators. Each designer is embedded within a ‘Group’ who focus on key parts of the user journey: Exploration, Connection, Collaboration and Platform.
*The exciting thing about this role is that you will have the opportunity to work across all four groups so the learning opportunities are endless!
What is the role?
As a UX Researcher, you'll use your expert experience and natural curiosity to research and identify gaps in the 99designs experience, and clearly articulate your findings and recommendations to ensure a positive experience with our products. Achieving this will require a large amount of cross-functional collaboration with the likes of Designers, Support, Product Managers, and more.
You will be establishing and owning the research component of our UX processes. In this role, you will be given the opportunity to make a tangible contribution to the continued innovation and success of the company and will play a key role in the continuous improvement of our research capabilities within the design team.
Key Responsibility areas:
User Experience and Research
- Be responsible for building a deep understanding of the people who use our product and their behaviours, attitudes and motivations, challenges and pain points.
- Development of appropriate research processes and documentation to support various projects and business objectives, including; research artefacts; questionnaires; scripts and personas.
- Bring rigour to projects and take the lead on planning research, using a variety of research methods (usability testing, surveys, interviews, card sorting, diary studies etc), and communicating findings back to the project team, creating actionable and timely insights to guide work.
- Use a variety of deliverables such as highlight reels, infographics, reports, scenarios and user journeys to provide insights about how people interact with our products
- Identify and understand the right research questions to answer and the best research method to use to support decision making both within the team and to inform strategy.
- Establish and maintain regular reporting on the ongoing health of our experience, ensuring findings are presented in a manner that is easily understood by a wide audience across the business.
- Gather and analyse feedback, translating findings into recommendations for the relevant parts of the organisation.
- Act as an advisor for roadmap items, bringing both qualitative and quantitative data to the conversation to support your recommendations.
- Provide research insights to support decision making both within projects and to inform strategy.
- Collaborates with the Creative Lead on research to support brand design work and strategy exploration.
- Work in close partnership with Product Designers and other stakeholders in planning and conducting research.
- Provide regular meaningful feedback to other Design team members to help them grow their skills and research toolkit.
- Is generous with their time and knowledge.
- Looks out for and offers potential opportunities to other designers, as well as flags successes and concerns to the Director of Design.
- Coach design peers and stakeholders on research.
- Clearly rationalize and justify research-backed recommendations and champion the needs of our users.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills, whether in one-on-one or group situations.
- Communicate complex ideas, goals and problems in an accessible way even to those unfamiliar with the problem space and/or research processes.
- Actively assist in keeping discussions on-track and focused on delivering actionable next steps.
- Actively seek to remain informed of what’s happening across the Product Management and Design group, and wider business context.
- Support the hiring process as needed.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Passionate about user-centred design and accessibility.
- You have at least 2 years of experience working as a UX researcher.
- You have an excellent practical understanding of research methodologies and have strong documentation, communication and presentation skills with an ability to effectively input into design critiques.
- Ability to work on multiple, simultaneous projects of all sizes and complexity.
- Experience with user-centred design methodologies and integrating research into agile workflows.
- Experience in planning and conducting a range of research methods including contextual enquiry, depth interviews, diary studies, remote usability testing, creating/facilitating workshops, and others as required.
- Ability to articulate clear and actionable insights and recommendations, and in multiple ways (such as journey maps, showcases, presentations etc).
- Flexibility in adapting your approach to meet the needs and standards of the organisation.
- Organised, disciplined, analytically minded and rigorous.
- Great communicator that loves organising, documenting and sharing knowledge.
- Exceptional intellectual curiosity, a passion for problem-solving and comfortable working with ambiguity.
99designs hold our values dearly - we believe in putting people first, and helping other people to create their success, that design has no borders, and that the journey should be fun. We want every person they engage with to be delighted with the 99designs service and experience.
As we continue to scale, we are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team that reflects the communities in which we operate. We want people to feel like they belong and can bring their whole selves to work. Our aim is to continue to foster a collaborative environment with a keen focus on innovation, growth and ownership.
We are on the journey to diversity - very transparent with our progress, and open to employee feedback. We believe that welcoming, supporting, and celebrating people from all experiences and backgrounds will enable them to build a stronger and more creative environment on our platform and within our own teams. If this is important to you then let’s chat!