Put simply, we’re a SaaS company headquartered in Melbourne whose ambition is to become the industry standard platform in the commercial construction industry. In the last year more than 40,000 organisations have used our platform to tender over 7,500 projects worth a total of $52 billion! We’re currently the market leaders in Australia & NZ, and as such we’re looking to quickly build on our growing team of 85 to do even more.
At EstimateOne, we believe that by looking after our whole ecosystem of users, and balancing the needs of our team, our shareholders and the industry, we can achieve our vision to become a global leader in construction technology; famous for the positive impact on the industry we serve. To do that we'll need to make sure we're unlocking value from what we've already built while also inventing new stuff. It's equal parts optimisation and innovation.
Our established startup vibe keeps things lively. We’ve come a long way in 14 years, and seeing what we’ve achieved in that time, get’s us pretty excited for the next 14.
About the role
We’re on a growth journey that saw our Engineering team more than double in size over the last year, and we want you to help us shape that. This is an exciting role that will see you as a custodian of the platform's quality and usability; in a position to move the needle on customer satisfaction.
As a Software Engineer you'll make a real, measurable difference to thousands of users by proactively addressing performance and reliability issues, as well as implementing usable, performant, and relevant features. You will guide technical decisions as well as help us shape our Agile practices and uplift our capability in terms of Test Driven Development, Clean Code practices and our ability to work collaboratively.
As a Software Engineer, you will measure your success by the outcomes that your team achieves, and not the amount of code you produce. We bring engineers into the conversation early and it's everyone's responsibility to think big-picture and be strategic. You'll work in a cross-functional team in close collaboration with designers and product experts and you'll help to define the way we work.
We're looking for smart people who are keen to collaborate - it's that simple. The ability to champion our values matters to us; we care about our team and you'll be joining a group of people who want each other to be happy and successful.
We're open to Engineers joining our team remotely within Australia, or to work based in Melbourne with the flexibility to come into our office or to work from home.
About the platform
All of our new front end development is focused on building out React components in TypeScript to talk to our GraphQL API. We've just started the journey to separate our PHP monolith application into microservices, and for new services we will be using Node.
For infrastructure, we are in AWS using things like Lambda, Fargate, S3, etc, which are controlled by Terraform, Ansible, Capistrano and Buildkite.
We follow ways of working such as regular pair programming, and advocate for TDD.
We've started building out a design system to help power us ahead on our journey. You can see the progress at https://storybook.estimateone.com
We know that developers with all of these skills do not exist (in fact, we don't even know how to do all of this stuff, but we want to), so hopefully you can help us with some of that. In an ideal world you will:
- Have experience with front end technologies including React & Typescript
- You have 2+ years experience in Software Engineering & relevant qualifications
- Have experience with various back-end languages such as Node.js, PHP, Ruby, Python, .Net, Java
- Have experience with Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) and Devops
- Write clean, testable code and encourage TDD
- Have experience in an Agile environment
- Want to understand the problems you are solving, not just the features you are building
- Value the team progressing towards its goal more than individuals task progress
There’s more to working at EstimateOne than just creating game changing technology for the construction industry. We know that to reach the lofty goals we set ourselves we need to look after our team, our shareholders and the industry we serve. We offer:
- Ability to WFH
- We are flexible about hours. You don't have to work full time, but we'd love it if you did
- $5,000 per year to put towards your professional development
- 5 days entrepreneurial leave per year, to work on your side projects and make them come to life
- Paid Parental leave and Volunteer leave
- Business wide activities on a Friday afternoon, every 7 weeks (think escape rooms, drawing classes, games afternoons, cooking classes)
- We also match NFP donations 2:1 - to name a few!
EstimateOne is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a work environment which embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Should you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application. As a 2022 Circle Back Initiative Employer, we also commit to responding to every applicant!