Hi. We’re hipages, Australia’s largest online tradie marketplace.
What we do:
The hipages product is available as a website and mobile phone application. Our technology is designed for Australian homeowners and tradies, ultimately making it easier for them to connect, communicate and get a home improvement job done well. Over 3 million Australians have used hipages where a home improvement job is posted every 20 seconds!
The Problem we’re solving:
hipages’ mission is to use innovative technologies and superior customer service to transform the tradie-consumer experience from the current feat of mutual endurance to one of effortless efficiency.
Where we are going and Why:
Our Vision to be THE place to go for home improvement, replacing traditional ways of connecting tradies with consumers such as word-of-mouth and print advertising to our online platform. Our purpose of Creating Happier homes through Effortless Home Improvement drives our curious, creative and energised team to achieve this.
What we are looking for:
We are looking for a Design Principal to join the Product and Experience team with a background in creative direction, branding, UI design, design systems and product design. You must be comfortable working in collaboration with various disciplines. You're a conceptual thinker who can bring your ideas to life in new and inspiring ways. You have a strong point of view on design and it shows in your work. When you decide to make something, you see your vision from concept to launch without any hand-holding. You should have an unwavering dedication to design excellence.
As a Design Principal you will be responsible for developing and maintaining the visual systems and in-product creative that establish the voice, character, tone and visual craft of the hipages product. This includes icons, product illustrations, product photography and motion design across all hipages products. You will collaborate with a broad set of product teams across the company.
How you will make an impact::
- Create sketches, storyboards, prototypes, animations and/or design specs necessary to guide development of valuable and consistent experiences.
- Work closely with the VP of Product, Head of UX and the Brand team to implement a cohesive visual style, voice and tone.
- Create illustration, photography, video, and animation
- Create visual content with a narrative in mind and an understanding of content hierarchy, beginning – middle - end.
- Seek out creative opportunities to improve on existing style and approach.
- Work with product teams to define the moments to own and then craft moments that are delightful and brand-authentic.
- Lead work on the design systems for our products, exploring and reviewing ideas to build an extensive component library and documenting design patterns.
- Taking our design language, structure and consistency to the next level.
- Lead the evolution of our visual languages, their components and design patterns. Then working with our product teams to realise your vision
- Coach our designers and product managers on user interface design, use of illustration, micro copy and motion design
- Document design guidelines and actively share knowledge on how to utilise the design systems
- Evangelise on design system best practices, sharing design patterns from across multiple industries and products to constantly help evolve hipages products and design languages.
- 8+ years experience as a Visual Design Lead at a creative agency or an in-house team.
- Experience shaping and leading product visual language and strategy
- Product design, photography, iconography, motion design and illustration experience.
- Experience taking design feedback and incorporating it.
- A great eye and touch for design: identify common design patterns throughout web and mobile platforms and find elegant solutions for implementation
- A strong track record and understanding of visual and interaction design (8+ years of experience in the field, preferably 2-3 years in building design systems)
- Great technical understanding of how to build systems, UI patterns and work smarter around technical limitations
- Experience of knowledge sharing and coaching less experienced designers
- Great understanding of visual harmony, information hierarchy and design patterns: You should be able to produce quality visual designs
- Experience in writing simple and clear design documentation for multiple audiences (designers, engineers, product managers and other stakeholders)
- Passionate about and/or experience in motion design
- Work experience in designing for accessibility
- A portfolio of work that contains examples of Interaction (IXD) Design and Visual Systems Development across devices.
Take a look inside our home:
- A close-knit diverse family of bright, respectful, collaborative members who love to solve problems and jump on new opportunities;
- High-touch personalised investment in your continuous career development;
- Agile cross-functional teams who value teamwork - from Hackathon to team off-sites, to Product roadshows, you get to experience it all;
- Competitive salary and benefits, plus equity via our Employee Share Program, we’re all owners of hipages;
- Daily bottomless continental breakfast, fresh fruit and snacks ;
- Inspiring office and location - based in the heart of Sydney CBD, only a few steps from Town Hall Station;
- Remote work and flexible work;
- Five-star bicycle parking and changing rooms (with showers) - we’re in the Hilton building with access to many facilities;
- Social connection focus: Friday socials, company parties and teaming activities - the best in town!
This role is open to international candidates who wish to relocate to Sydney (relocation assistance provided).