Take a seat on our rocket ship and join us on our mission to change education around the world. We’re a rapidly growing SaaS company and are looking for a Head of Engineering to lead our tech teams and help us set the technical and architectural vision and strategy for Xplor.
Who we are?
Xplor and QK Technologies have recently joined forces to become an international team of over 140 people hailing from offices in Melbourne, Brisbane and London. Being part of the TSG and their Education vertical, both our brands share the passion for education and innovative technology and want to support those who make it great.
Our product suite is changing education by helping childcare services and educators easily manage and automate all aspects of their operations, as well as by connecting parents with their children's well-being and growth.
What will I be doing as the Head of Engineering?
The Head of Engineering is responsible for both the architecture of the Xplor platform, and provides guidance and oversight to multiple development teams working on different products and systems, and to ensure that our technologies connect to each other seamlessly.
Some of the other things you’ll do:
- Coaching and guiding technical leads to ensure that we successfully deliver projects on time
- Passionately communicate our technical vision both internally and externally to Xplor
- Partner with our Product teams to design and deliver high-quality products based on the Xplor roadmap and business priorities
- Provide key input on the technical roadmap, identifying components and possible issues that could impede the execution of plans. Work with Engineering teams to formulate creative solutions for tackling these issues before they become bottlenecks
- Stay up-to-date with innovations and changes in the industry and within Xplor. Make pragmatic, evidence-based recommendations on their applicability to our business
- Provide expertise, influence, advice and mentorship to engineers at all levels. Support and develop technical leadership capabilities across our Engineering team
- Ensure teams you collaborate with are delivering quickly, measuring impact and iterating to drive positive outcomes for customers
- Actively contribute to the development of agreed standards and good practices.
- Work with the Senior Engineers to recruit new engineers into the team, providing specialist technical advice to the recruitment process
- Participate and collaborate in requirement analysis, quality assurance, user acceptance testing, and deployments, as well as sprint planning
- Assist in managing relevant vendor relationships (AWS, etc) and ensure you are getting the most from the products and services we contract for
- Ensure that our cloud-based business system architecture is stable & secure
What would make a great candidate?
- Previous experience in senior technical leadership position
- Worked in technological environments which have progressed through a rapid and expansive scale up.
- Significant experience designing and developing complex, business critical products
- Ability to drive collaboration and effective teamwork across the Engineering teams
- Strong communication skills, meaning you know to how voice your opinions and know how to encourage participation in others
- Ability to influence by leading by example and earning the respect needed to be an effective technical leader
- You demonstrate a dedication to continual self-development and can instill this amongst the Engineering team members
- Strategically minded with the ability to translate business objectives to technical solutions
- You show a mature and pragmatic approach when choosing technologies and creating solutions
- You put the customer first and respect your commitment to deliver
- Our core values resonate with you: Be Humble, Obsess Over Others, Think Deeply Move Quickly, and Embrace Change
- Must be an Australian citizen or have eligibility and documentation demonstrating your right to work in Australia
- Must hold or can obtain a Working With Children Check
What it means to work for us
How many companies can truly claim they are making the world a better place? We are one of a handful who is relentlessly working towards this noble goal. We are here to make education great.
Some of the other perks of working with us:
- Unparalleled opportunities to learn, with accelerated career development for high performers
- A collaborative, flat structured team environment with people who truly love what they do
- Regular social activities and celebrations
- 10 weeks Gender Neutral Paid Parental Leave benefit
- 3 days paid Volunteer Leave per year
- $1500 individual yearly L&D budget
- Childcare discounts, mental health support
- Flexible work arrangements, including remote working from anywhere in the world for 8 weeks per year for all roles
- Discounts to study an MBA in Innovation and Leadership
- Discounts on tech from Apple and JB Hi-Fi
Sheryl Sandberg once said, “If you're offered a seat on a rocket ship, don't ask what seat! Just get on.” We couldn't agree more. So, are you ready to get on board?
To start your application with us, please submit your CV and a cover letter and we will be in touch as soon as we can. Please include the word "moonshot" at the top of your cover letter so that we know you really took the time to read our job ad. Your contact is Dean (Talent Partner).
Individuals seeking employment at our company are considered without regards to race, colour, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Please also note that successful candidates will be required to obtain a Working With Children Check as part of their employment.