Baraja is changing the world of self-driving cars through the invention of a new type of LiDAR called Spectrum-Scan™ that delivers ultra-high performance at high resolution, even at incredibly far distances. Today, Baraja LiDAR is already deployed in multiple verticals, working with global automotive and industrial partners.
Originally founded in Sydney, Australia, we also have offices in San Francisco, China and Europe. We are funded by Sequoia, Blackbird and Main Sequence Ventures and we are excited to continue growing the team, so if you are looking for a fast-paced, dynamic role in a start-up we are keen to hear from you!
Baraja is looking for a Financial Controller to develop and maintain the accounting system and methodology to improve decision making in the business and continuously improve business and administration processes to maximise revenue generation and retention, cost efficiency and profitability.
Inside the Job
- Review the current Business Plan and Budget and report to CEO and others as appropriate opportunities and threats.
- Review current product cost and pricing structure with the VP Business Development and others as appropriate, recommend pricing amendments to achieve profitability outcomes agreed with the CEO and others.
- Review current business cash flow and funding model, recommend future direction and implement agreed actions.
- Review current Finance Department structure and member capabilities, assign responsibilities to individual team members and implement agreed Key Performance Indicators across all activities.
- Review the roles, responsibilities and where currently employed capabilities of other direct reports, confirm responsibilities and implement agreed Key Performance Indicators across all activities.
- Review current accounting systems with others, recommend future direction and implement agreed actions.
- Represent the Finance function as stream lead in the ERP implementation and in the Integrated Business Planning process.
- Review current business management policies and procedures, recommend future direction, and implement agreed actions
Strategic Planning – Ongoing
- Develop, implement, and review with others as appropriate Business Plans and Budgets (month and annual) for the business as a whole and for each of its functions.
- Identify financial targets for each function to support and achieve the overall profitability outcomes as agreed with the CEO and others.
- Review regularly (not less than twice yearly) product cost and pricing structure with the CEO and others as appropriate, recommend pricing amendments to achieve profitability outcomes agreed with the CEO and others.
- Review monthly business cash flow and funding and act agreed with the CEO to manage cash flow and funding to meet business demands.
- Review compliance with financial and monetary legislation in Australia and where necessary (e.g. USA, China, other export destinations, etc.) and amend and/or introduce new policies and procedures.
- Ensure Baraja Pty Ltd meet statutory reporting obligations.
- Complete statutory reporting prior to dispatch of goods for export or as required.
- Prepare with others as appropriate monthly, quarterly, and year-end Financial. accounts including Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet and Company Accounts adjustments, and where necessary annual reports no later than 15th of August each year.
- Prepare timely cost accounting reports, including operating variance analysis monthly.
- Act as partner to the Founders and contribute to timely decision making aided by cost driver analysis and modelling.
- Directly manage the activities of all accounts staff and ensure all activities are completed to required standards and within agreed timeframes.
- Oversight of the accounting function for Australian and USA entity (managing an in-house accountant and being point of contact for external accountant). Able to interpret the numbers, understand the P&L and drive a budgeting process.
- Financial reporting to management and Board. Requires sound grasp of supply-chain and manufacturing, which are key to financial management and profitability. Monitor cashflow / working capital Investor relations, legal and compliance.
- First point of contact for investors and managing their queries.
- Manage external legal and tax advisors related to the company.
- Work closely with the team to ensure that the business is at all times compliant with policies and regulations and that all relevant insurance is in place.
- Financial modelling like a champion (Excel advanced formulas, etc).
- Extensive experience managing finance teams, preparing, and analysing reports and making improvements to fiscal tools and systems.
- Relevant qualifications in the fields of: Finance or Economics, Accounting, Business Administration, Business Law, CPA (Certified Practising Accountants) or CA (Chartered Accountants).
- Ideal candidates would be members of recognised professional associations such as the Finance and Treasury Association, Australian Bankers Association or FINSIA.
Be part of a high-performance team
We work toward our goals by being in constant communication in person and through a range of technologies. We also have big ears for feedback from customers to help us continually improve the Baraja experience. We are pretty good at what we do (but definitely not perfect), so you’ll be learning from and working with a top-flight team on a mission to be better every day.
What matters to us
We believe that our culture is one of our most important assets and we’ve wrapped it up with three key values that we do our best to live up to every day:
- Hustle to deliver on hard and meaningful problems - Passion to achieve. Resilience & learning. What's the next challenge?
- Build the machine that builds the machine - It’s not enough to design amazing products, we need to design the means to manufacture these products, at scale.
- Develop sustained high performance - Great teams make great things. They also respectfully challenge each other to reach the next milestone.
What we can offer you
- Healthy lunch provided onsite
- Wellness Budget
- Employee Assistance Program
- Learning & Development budget
- Internal progression opportunities
- ESOP offering & remuneration package
- Monthly social events
- Volunteer day
- Team lunches
- Social sporting teams i.e. hiking, soccer, frisbee and table tennis.
What are you waiting for? If this role excites you, we’re keen to have a chat!