More and more organisations are seeing the value in talking to customers, and as such the user research practice continues to grow across many industries. Teams are conducting more interviews, usability tests, focus groups, surveys, and more than ever before. Qualitative research is time consuming to perform, and it’s challenging to analyse, store, manage and find unstructured data in a collaborative and privacy compliant way.
Dovetail is the leading cloud data analysis and research repository platform. We believe customer-obsession builds the best products, so our mission is to ‘enable product teams to make better decisions through the power of customer understanding’. We think what we’re building is an exciting and brand new category of software.
We’re a product-led, bottom-up, self-service software company founded in 2017 by two ex-Atlassians. We have thousands of paying customers of all sizes ranging from individuals and small agencies to large enterprises and consulting firms. Companies like Square, Figma, VMware, Shopify, BCG, GitLab, Porsche, Canva, and more trust Dovetail to analyze, store, and manage their research data and insights, often across multiple teams and locations.
We’ve grown our team to 23 people, raised a bit of money from the best venture capital firms around like Blackbird and Felicis Ventures, and have stayed close to profitability with ARR in seven figures. Customers love our product—our NPS is usually around 60—and we’ve already closed dozens of high ACV enterprise contracts with minimal touch.
You’ll be joining a leadership team with heaps of product experience: our CEO Benjamin Humphrey worked as a Lead Product Designer at Atlassian and various companies in New Zealand and the SF bay area, and our CTO Bradley Ayers was an Engineering Architect at Atlassian. Brian Swift, our Head of Product, was previously VP Product at SafetyCulture, and before that worked on product at Atlassian, Twitter, and Zynga.
What you will do
As the leader of our marketing organization, you’ll lead, manage, and grow the marketing team, set strategy and execute, and be involved in all aspects of go-to-market.
- Lead the marketing team. You will be tasked with establishing a brand new marketing team in Austin, while also leading our small existing team in Sydney. You’ll identify gaps in our team and fill them by upskilling current members and hiring outstanding people. You’re passionate about people management and coaching, and aren’t afraid of managing remotely.
- Develop our marketing strategy. Brad and I are product people, which means we need you to create the vision for marketing at Dovetail, and the plan for how we’ll get there. You’ll be accountable for developing and communicating the high-level marketing strategy, creating OKRs, figuring out where we allocate time and resources, and more.
- Establish a new category. We believe we’re creating a new category of tools for the management of research data and insights, data governance, and running research programs at scale. We’re after someone who loves the challenge of ‘category building’, and then ensuring we lead it. This may involve partnerships, strategic sponsorships, events, striking content marketing and brand work, and industry leadership.
- Represent and communicate marketing. As the senior leader of marketing, you’ll create a shared understanding and get cross-functional buy-in. We expect you to take the team on the journey as we grow our go-to-market team. This will include things like presenting at company all-hands, regular meeting with your peers and founders, writing internal blog posts, and reporting to our board.
- Drive demand generation. Demand generation is an area we’re yet to focus on, so we expect you to build this muscle at Dovetail. This will include marketing efforts across paid and organic channels like paid, social, content, search, podcasts, and webinars, while effectively managing a marketing budget to ROI metrics.
- Partner with peers on go-to-market and product. We expect you to partner closely with our team members in product, sales, customer success, and support to develop and execute on our go-to-market strategy and assist with tactical things like sales enablement material.
- Be exceptionally pragmatic. You’ll need to make the right tradeoffs to keep moving forward by balancing a variety of inputs and constraints. We’re after someone who’s multi-disciplined and pragmatic. If you’re particularly dogmatic or specialized in one area of marketing only (e.g. content marketing or paid ads), this isn’t the role for you.
- Be customer-obsessed. We believe that deep customer understanding is how you build amazing products that solve real problems. You'll need to know our customers better than we do through conversations, research, and engagement with our community. We expect you to dog-food Dovetail and conduct regular customer research.
- Make decisions with data. Use customer insights and data to evaluate success, inform future improvements, and make informed decisions. This will span quantitative data like campaign analytics and funnel metrics, and qualitative data through customer conversations.
- Work in a fast-paced, dynamic start-up environment. This is an opportunity to be involved in an exciting journey from the start. You’ll have a positive attitude towards urgency, risk, and uncertainty that comes with working at an early-stage startup.
We’re looking for a senior marketing leader with multiple years of relevant experience growing and leading marketing teams in startups, and executing on aggressive growth goals.
- Experience leading marketing for B2B technology companies. Ideally you have more than 10 years of experience working in a variety of marketing roles, and recent or current experience leading successful, medium size marketing teams.
- Track record of accelerating startup growth and scaling marketing organizations. You enjoy working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, are driven to win, and constantly get better. You get shit done with a humble, caring, and collaborative approach.
- A background in setting and communicating strategy. You should be familiar with building a marketing strategy from the ground up and have excellent people skills, communication, and presentation skills to get the whole company bought-in to execute on your strategy. This is especially important given that the team will be split between Sydney and Austin.
- Complementary strengths. While we expect you to have dabbled in all kinds of marketing, we’d love it if you had a particular strength in demand generation and performance marketing, to complement our strengths in longer term stuff like content and brand.
- Leadership and people management skills. We expect you to have heaps of experience as a people manager and know how to coach and manage a team. You’ll also be managing managers in this role.
- Strong domain expertise is a plus. Ideally you have hands-on experience working in small startups that are growing and transitioning to a more mature scale-up. Domain expertise in user research or design software is specifically a plus for this role.
- Competitive base salary plus equity. Even though we’re a small startup, we pay salaries that can hold their own against big tech companies.
- KitKat days. We understand the importance of mental health and wellbeing. These are extra paid days holiday for the whole company where everyone can take a break.
- Generous equal parental leave.
- Floating public holiday leave. You can choose to work public holidays and use that day another time in the year.
- Flexible working hours and location. We value work-life balance, especially right now. While we’re mostly back in the office, you’re free to work where you want, when you want.
- Personal learning and development budget. We’re a big fan of personal development, and prefer to home-grow leaders rather than filling leadership / management externally.
- A brand new architecturally designed office in Surry Hills. With free snacks, beer on tap and drinks, three different coffee machines, social areas, and a rooftop.
- TGIF events. Monthly company wide activities on Fridays for the whole team.
- Salary sacrifice. We have a salary sacrifice policy for work related items.
- Ergonomic office. Sit-stand desks, 4k 27” monitor, ergonomic chairs, quiet spaces, and collaboration spaces, to suit all kinds of working styles.
- Pet friendly office! We love dogs and often have dogs in the office.
- Personal development. Regular lunch and learn events, opportunities for presenting at webinars and conferences, and networking through our investor community.
- Annual company retreats. We try to go away every year!