Afterpay’s mission is to power an economy in which everyone wins, to play fair, trust people and reward them for doing the right thing. We are obsessed with our product and we see and feel the impact of our work as more and more people gain financial freedom and retailers grow across the globe.
Offered by more than 70,000 of the world’s best retailers and has more than 14 million active customers globally. Top fashion and beauty retailers across the globe - including Urban Outfitters, GAP, Ebay, Shien, The Iconic, Officeworks, Myer, Foot Locker, Adore Beauty, Mac Cosmetics, Kathmandu and many others. We have offices across the globe including New Zealand, USA, China, UK and Europe!
About the opportunity
As a Senior Software Engineer in the Consumer team you will be responsible for registration, checkout and servicing flows of Afterpay globally. Your ideas and solutions will be responsible for the processing of billions in volume and will be used by millions of consumers interacting with Afterpay on a daily basis. Your software will enhance our consumer experience and create value propositions that make Afterpay the most loved way to pay globally. This is a perfect role for Senior Engineers who thrive in a fast-paced environment, want accountability and ownership across global platforms that are touching millions of consumers.
What you’ll be doing
· Scope, build and maintain/enhance systems & services using Kotlin, Java and related open source technologies
· Lead and participate in critical technical design and product discussions
· Own features and functions throughout their lifecycle from inception, rollout, launch, scale and iteration
· Work in cross-functional Product teams responsible for the discovery, delivery and validation of product features via microservices, APIs, web-apps
· Collaborate with product managers, experience designers & business stakeholders to build efficient and reliable feature implementations that will delight our customers
· Take ownership of and successfully deliver critical roadmap initiatives
· Understanding the business impacts, be willing to question the “why”
· Participate in the ongoing innovation, design and architecture of our evolving platforms and services
· Work with the software engineering team, enhance and promote our software development principles, guided by Staff Engineers and Engineering Management
· Mentor other engineers, promote and share knowledge across other teams
· Foster the use of agile practices of Software Delivery
· Peer review design decisions, code, automated tests and documentation
· Work with your teammates to build a high performing team
Who are you?
· A strong track record of delivering good quality and scalable software in a global environment solving engineering and product problems
· Solid understanding of how to build testable, decoupled, maintainable code and other engineering best practices such as XP techniques (TDD, pair-programming, CI, etc)
· Demonstrate start-up focus/mentality; be responsible for whole features
· Experience working within an agile, AWS environment
· Very strong working knowledge of backend technologies including but not limited to: Dropwizard, Spring/Guice, ORM/Hibernate, SQL and relational databases
· Understanding of integration technologies: microservices, RESTful APIs, JSON/XML Structured Logging
· Experience with version control, preferably Git
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Use of Serverless technologies will be a bonus
· Willingness to learn and apply new methodologies and techniques as required
· Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science or relevant field
What are the perks?
· Flexible work from home arrangements (Hybrid or fully remote model of working)
· Equitable parental leave program including access to up to 24 weeks of paid leave
· Beautiful office space in Southbank with all snacks, beverages and catered meals
· Open ACG accounts and AWS certification reimbursements
· Additional wellness days (extra days of leave) and company-wide wellness hours
· Afterpay swag, did someone say Afterpay socks?
· Paid team outings, UberEats Vouchers & Afterpay credit on Afterpay day!
How to Apply
We don’t know what the future holds. That’s the exciting part; we show up and make it happen. If you’re excited by this opportunity, click apply now!
Afterpay is continuing to hire for all open roles with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. All new team members, in addition to current staff, will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices