Spriggy helps Aussie families teach their kids about money. We provide parents with a safe and simple app that they use to pay their kids pocket money, set chores, manage savings and monitor spending. Kids are provided with a personalised prepaid card and an app they use to learn about earning money, responsible spending, and the importance of saving.
Spriggy launched in late 2016 and have had over 400,000 members join, with hundreds of new parents and kids joining Spriggy every day. Spriggy is backed by high-calibre Australian investors, including Mike Cannon-Brookes' Grok Ventures, and are now looking to grow our team and product suite.
We’re a small yet diverse team, with people from backgrounds that include engineering, design, physics, genetics, medicine and mathematics… we even have a professional golfer on the team! We’re all passionate problem solvers who are eager to help Aussie families teach their kids about money.
About the role:
Spriggy has experienced rapid growth over the last 3 years and we’re now looking for a talented Tech Lead to join our team. You’ll be a key member of the team responsible for our Spriggy Core platform, which underlies all of our products. It provides key functionality, including payment processing, accounting, anti-fraud, authentication and authorization.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Responsibility for designing and delivering backend solutions for Spriggy Core.
- Leading technical solution design and implementation.
- Collaborating with the senior team to develop best-of-breed and scalable solutions to technical problems.
- Meeting regularly with the product teams to receive feedback and understand their needs from the platform.
- Working with our QA team members to develop test plans and ensure quality throughout our engineering processes.
- Ensuring that systems comply with Spriggy’s security policies and procedures.
- Reviewing and improving existing systems (Agile, CI/CD, Devops, Automation).
- Contributing to the broader engineering practice across the Spriggy team.
- Leading, coaching, mentoring and developing a team of skilled engineers.
- Contribute to technical strategies and processes that assist in achieving business goals.
- Work collaboratively with a sense of shared purpose within a cross-functional team, including team members from engineering, product, analytics and operations.
- Working with the product and engineering teams to continue to build the company culture.
Within your first 3 months you will:
- Get to know the Spriggy Core team through one-on-ones and team events.
- Have one-on-ones with members of engineering, product, marketing, member help and operations to learn more about how engineering and Spriggy Core align with the broader business.
- Get to know the existing codebase, processes, tools and practices used by the Spriggy Core team.
- Get hands on with engineering. You’ll understand every corner of Spriggy Core, develop a sense of our strengths and identify opportunities for improvement. We strive for you to commit your first code to production within one week!
- Participate in architectural solution design for Spriggy Core with senior engineering and product managers.
- Participate in and lead delivery management and QA for Spriggy Core.
- Mentor and coach engineering team members to help develop technical and interpersonal skills.
- Receive regular support from senior product and engineering team members.
- Develop an understanding of our technical infrastructure and deployment practices.
- Develop an understanding of production support processes and participate in the on-call roster.
- Have shipped product. You have 5+ years of experience as an engineer and 2+ years managing and mentoring engineers, including providing feedback, investing in the career growth of your team members and growing teams.
- Think big, build small. You dream big, while recognising that the best solutions often involve small thoughtful iterations at speed. You bring big visions to life by constantly thinking about the next smallest thing you can do to solve a problem. You are able to work closely with our product teams and the broader business to help build and foster a test-and-learn culture.
- Have a fast learning rate. You don’t have to be an expert in everything, but a passion and curiosity for problem solving, building simple solutions that solve customer problems and an ability to learn quickly are required.
- Are keen to work with Python. Our main language is Python. We don’t expect you to have a deep understanding of Python, but a willingness to learn and work with Python is essential.
- Are obsessed with solving customer problems. You recognise that technology is a vehicle to solving customer problems and have experience in companies that ship products at scale.
- Sweat the details. Spriggy Core provides the underlying functionality for all of our products and solves some highly-technical problems. This requires a strong attention to detail and an understanding of how the small decisions impact the system as a whole.
- Excited by ownership. You’ll be a key member of the engineering team, responsible for the delivery and growth of the Spriggy Core platform, which is an essential part of the business.
What you’ll get:
- Work at one of Australia’s fastest growing Fintechs alongside some of the best and brightest.
- An excellent culture, we encourage collaboration, growth and learning amongst the team.
- Competitive salary and consideration for equity.
- An ability to directly influence the direction of the Spriggy product and business.
- An autonomous and flexible role where you will be trusted with key tasks.
- An opportunity to have real impact and be part of a company with purpose.
- A flexible workplace environment.