We're looking for an engineering leader who is excited about creating the best experience for customers and providing an environment for teams to thrive. If you're passionate about growing engineers, building an inclusive, happy and high performing team, fostering a continuous improvement mindset, and contributing to practices and culture, we'd love to talk to you! You'll be joining a cross-functional Product Engineering team at Sendle—a team grounded in values of collaboration, problem-solving, trust, growth, and learning.
About the tech
We believe in striking a balance between using the right tool for the job and keeping our architecture simple. Our tech stack comprises of Ruby, Elixir, React, Postgres, Redis, and Kafka. We use an automated, pull request based, continuous integration and feedback workflow. All engineers can deploy to production and we do so several times a day.
A bit about us
Sendle is a B Corporation and the first 100% carbon neutral delivery service in Australia and the United States. We build shipping that is good for the world and help small businesses thrive by making parcel delivery simple, reliable and affordable and doing that by harnessing major courier networks to create a delivery service that levels the playing field for small businesses.
Sendle is a fast growing business with bold ambitions. We have made huge strides towards our goal of becoming the largest SMB eCommerce courier in the World, moving from a single country operation in Australia to a successful launch and operation in the US. We also launched major partnerships with eBay and Shopify. Our work has a real impact: by powering eCommerce logistics, our software is helping real world businesses deliver real parcels to their customers; this is more than just records in a database.
About the team
We are a team full of passionate, self-confessed nerds and general geeks. We are a 100% remote engineering team and have been since the beginning, with members all around Australia and New Zealand. We get together for team meetups in Sydney every few months (Covid allowing). Sendle is a trusting and flexible work place, making it a great fit for engineers who know it’s the results that matter, not time spent at the keyboard. Check out some of our team's talks at Elixir Australia here and here.
A bit about the role
As a customer-focused engineering leader, you will be working in a cross-functional team aligned to a stream goal. You'll have influence on the direction of the team and function, be empowered to shape and ship the roadmap, and collaborate with the Product Manager, Designer and Tech Lead to empower the team and bring them along the journey.
You are someone who fosters a continuous improvement mindset in the team. You're always looking for ways to improve how the team works together, encourage others' ability to deliver great work, and drive initiatives on best practices. You enjoy helping engineers develop in their career, and want to promote an open environment for team members to give input and ask questions, because you believe wholeheartedly that their voices matter.
This role does not require you to be hands-on-coding (though you can, if you want to), however we are looking for someone who has had previous experience as a senior engineer in a team.
Let's talk about you
If you are excited about this role, but not sure if you meet 100% of the criteria, we would still love to hear from you.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is excited to build an environmentally sustainable courier business, driven by solving genuine customer problems and appreciates great design
- Comfortable in ambiguous problem spaces, applying critical and analytical thinking skills, driving toward clarity and solutions.
- Has great written and spoken communication skills, communicating effectively and clearly for different audiences, and invites input from others
- Has a high degree of empathy - coaching and growing engineers towards personal and professional development, creating an inclusive team environment, and fostering an environment of honest open communication
- Is an advocate for team collaboration within your team and across the business
- Has the ability to input, understand and challenge engineering decisions, and to empower the team to make decisions themselves.
- Understands what good looks like for a happy and high-performing team of engineers. You can inspire, motivate and grow the team to get there.
- Is experienced in working in agile development and quality practices
- Is hungry to learn and try new things, brings this to the team, to help others learn and grow.
And may have one or more of these (though not required):
- Experience with monitoring and instrumentation using tools like DataDog, Prometheus, Grafana or similar.
- Experience with leading a team, with a track record of creating happy and productive engineering teams
- Experienced in delivery, understanding the mechanisms of how to motivate the team to reach the team's goals, managing risks and dependencies early.
- Experienced with data driven approaches for transparency on the team's progress and quality, ensuring a balance between feature work with quality and engineering health.
What we’re offering
- The chance to work with a creative team in a supportive environment A generous personal development budget
- You are able to create your own work environment, connecting to a remote team from anywhere in Australia and New Zealand
- EAP access for you and your immediate family, because we care about your wellbeing
- Dedicated study time for topics that motivate you. For example, we have a group learning Rust together.
- Options through participation in Sendle’s ESOP
What matters to us
We believe that our culture is one of our most important assets. We have 5 key values that we look for in every member of our team.
- Humble - We put others first. We embrace and seek feedback from others.
- Honest - We speak gently but frankly. We take ownership of our mistakes and speak the truth.
- Happy - We enjoy the journey. We are optimistic and find opportunities in all things.
- Hungry - We aspire to make a difference. We aim high, step out of our comfort zones and tackle the hard problems.
- High-Performing - We relentlessly deliver. We know the goal and work fearlessly towards it.
Legally, we need you to know this
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
But it’s important to us that you know this
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better outcomes. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it. If you want to be a part of something remarkable then we’re excited to hear from you.