Amber is a new way to buy power, designed for a world powered by renewable energy. We give customers direct access to the real-time wholesale electricity price as it varies every 30 mins and the technology to shift more of their energy usage to the times when cheaper renewables are available in the grid. It’s a cheaper way to buy power and the fastest way for Australia to reach 100% renewable energy.
We are growing rapidly and have thousands of customers who love what we are doing and a great product that will play a significant role in driving Australia towards a renewable future. We are backed by Australia’s leading VCs including Square Peg Capital, Giant Leap (Impact Investment Group) and Black Sheep Capital. We’re now at a critical moment in taking the business to real scale as we disrupt a huge market for the better.
We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and a great culture of people who love coming to work to build a better world. You’d be a part of a rapidly growing team of 20 with expertise across energy, technology, marketing, and operations.
The Financial Accountant role performs a range of accounting tasks that supports the Finance team and wider business.
You will be responsible for a wide range of duties, including (but not limited to):
- Assist with accounts payable and accounts receivable, including reconciliations and responding to questions
- Monthly payroll processing and reporting
- Processing of accruals, prepayments and subsequent journals
- Reconciliations including general ledger and balance sheet (including bank)
- Preparation of monthly profit and loss and balance sheet reports, including detailed analysis and commentary
- Maintenance of the fixed assets register as the company grows
- Preparation of FBT, GST and BAS returns for the Manager to review before submission.
- Assist with developing and maintaining a rolling cashflow forecast
- Assist with the preparation of budgeting and forecasting reports, including cost-analysis
- Assist with the preparation of year-end accounts and statutory accounts
- Working with external Tax Advisors and Auditors, responding to inquiries by gathering and interpreting data.
- Liaising with managerial staff and other colleagues
- Develop, manage and continuously improve financial systems, processes and policies
- Other ad-hoc tasks to support the broader team
The role will ideally suit an experienced and commercially astute accountant with a positive can-do attitude. The successful candidate will have a proactive work ethic and be able to problem solve, in addition to:
- Bachelors degree and/or equivalent accounting qualification
- CPA/ CA qualified, or undertaking CPA/ CA program
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as analytical and numerical abilities
- Attention to detail, with strong prioritisation and organisational skills
- Ability to work within strict deadlines and reporting time-tables
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a wider team
- High level of experience using Xero
- Advanced computer software skills, including Excel and various other packages
- Sound business knowledge
Nice to haves:
- Experience working within a business during rapid growth
- Prior experience at an early/growth stage startup
- We put the customer at the centre of everything we do. Whatever it is we are doing, it’s always with a viewpoint that this will help our customers, whether that’s 1000 customers right now, or 1 million customers over the next 10 years.
- We are willing to take calculated risks on bold ideas. We seek to do things differently and are willing to try creative ideas if we believe there is significant upside with a culture where we recognise that not all ideas will succeed.
- Hypothesis driven approach. We develop hypotheses of actions we can take to improve the business and then set up the systems to quickly test if that hypothesis was correct.
- We seek insight. We seek to disaggregate the data to draw out the insight to inform our next hypothesis.
- We prioritise the biggest opportunities. We test a variety of ideas but quickly cut what isn’t working and double down on what is.
- We continually learn and improve. We keep track of what we have learnt so that we continually improve and never make the same mistake twice.
- We love accountability. We accept responsibility for solving problems, and then we hold ourselves and our teammates accountable for delivering on them.
- We create leverage. We believe that the key to creating an efficient business at scale is to create leverage in everything we do. Whether that’s implementing a better processes or developing a new technology to solve a problem faster.
- We have fun. We love coming to work, and interacting with our colleagues and customers. If we spot an opportunity for a joke, or to do something nice for someone, then we take it.
Please submit your CV and cover letter to [email protected], using the subject line: [Your Name]Financial Accountant. Please add your full name and the role you're applying for in the subject line of your email i.e Lucy Smith - Financial Accountant.
Please answer the following question in your cover letter:
- What’s the mathematical relationship between the wholesale price published on AEMO (www.aemo.com.au) and the price Amber customers pay.