There is something really exciting about ‘first-time’ roles. In this case I’m referring to the opportunity to pioneer data science and machine learning efforts here at 99designs, at a time of significant growth and scale.
99designs has always been an early adopter of modern tech and our pioneering in the data space; dbt, Airbyte, MLflow, Feast, Snowflake & Looker, and the new tools and roles that are evolving alongside are no different!
99designs is the world’s global creative platform that makes it easy for clients and designers to work together to create designs they love. Our mission is to champion creativity to create opportunities for people around the world. Founded in 2008, 99designs has grown from a small, online forum into a worldwide community of talented designers that is now the go-to solution for businesses, agencies, and individuals.
So what’s the role about I hear you ask?
You’ll join a full-stack data product team and work in a POC environment to unleash the power of machine learning to build and support a complex 99design customer/creator ecosystem using classical and start-of-the-art optimisation paradigms.
A large part of this role is about defining best practice data science and machine learning and introducing ways of working across the organisation. It’s about developing ML models, segmentations and algorithms and taking them to fully fledged data products with the help of the data team.
There is so much to go at here, and your work will include building new data products and assessing pre-existing data products with the view to evolve and scale. It’s also about introducing Product2Vec, marketplace dynamics, fraud and anomaly detection, personalisation and Learning to Rank. Told you this would be fun!
A little bit about you
A curious individual that has the ability to innovate, educate and take people on a journey. All the technical skills aside, while this role has huge scope, it will take someone who can partner and leverage the skills of the team to truly make this function sing.
Now for the ‘techy stuff’. A degree in Computer Science, Math/Statistics or Engineering, and with excellent programming skills in Python. You will demonstrate experience with machine learning and modeling (building production ready models), and building, measuring and improving search, optimisation and reinforcement learning algorithms. While not mandatory, having an understanding of network theory and the field of computer vision or NLP would be amazing.
As 99d continues to scale, we are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team that reflects the communities in which we operate. We want people to feel like they belong and can bring their whole selves to work. Our aim is to continue to foster a collaborative environment with a keen focus on innovation, growth and ownership. Below are just some of the things we do to support our people:
- Career development and learning in whatever way suits you! Courses, formal and informal mentoring, conferences… however you learn best 99d has got you covered.
- Culture of workplace flexibility and wellness. Study? Parent juggling? Everyone has different needs and the business will support you in the best way we can. Some people work remotely, some with flex start and finish times...the common thread is it’s all about your individual needs. With annual wellness bonuses of $605 + annually refreshing your WFH space with $300, you'll be supported to do your thang.
- Support for working parents. 18 weeks paid parental leave policy for all parents (we don't distinguish between a primary and secondary carer), which can be accessed part time or any way you want it over the first 18 months, which you can access from day 1 of joining. We also pay superannuation for paid and unpaid parental leave for 18months!
- Support for the community. In addition to 99nonprofits, 99designs provide one paid volunteer day a year for you to support a charity and the community as you see fit!
- 99d are also a Proud Code Like a Girl internship partner, host of Girl Geek Academy hack days, & maintain popular open source projects, and support a range of other community groups. It’s in our DNA.
Sound interesting? Apply, say hi! We'd love to chat