Afterpay’s mission is to power an economy in which everyone wins, to play fair, trust people and reward them for doing the right thing. We are obsessed with our product and we see and feel the impact of our work as more and more people gain financial freedom and retailers grow across the globe.
Offered by more than 70,000 of the world’s best retailers and has more than 14 million active customers globally. Top fashion and beauty retailers across the globe - including Ebay, The Iconic, Myer, Foot Locker, Adore Beauty, Mac Cosmetics, Kathmandu and many others. We also have offices across the globe including New Zealand, USA, China, UK and Europe!
About the Opportunity
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Instore team you'll be responsible for developing the Instore product that was recently launched in Australia, New Zealand and the United States. This product enables our consumers to use the Afterpay virtual card in participating stores in Australia. We’ve seen huge success in the instore application across the US and we are looking to continue our expansion globally. The team moves quickly and makes brave product decisions, this is the perfect opportunity for a Software Engineer that enjoys creating new features quickly and effectively.
What you’ll be doing
· Scope, build and maintain/enhance systems & services using Kotlin, Java and related open source technologies
· Lead and participate in critical technical design and product discussions
· Own features and functions throughout their lifecycle from inception, rollout, launch, scale and iteration
· Practice eXtreme Programming (XP) engineering techniques of Software Development
· Fostering the use of agile practices for Software Delivery
· Work in cross-functional Product teams responsible for the discovery, delivery and validation of product features via microservices, APIs, web-apps
· Work with the software engineering team following our software development principles, guided by the Staff Engineers and Engineering Managers.
· Peer review design decisions, code, automated tests and documentation
· Participate in the ongoing design and architecture of our evolving core platforms and services
· Collaborate with product managers, experience designers & business stakeholders to build efficient and reliable feature implementations that will delight our customers
· Ensure that story estimates and code reviews are completed in a timely manner
Who are you?
· A demonstrable and strong track record of building highly scalable, performant and resilient systems/software
· Proven expertise in preferably Kotlin, Java and other JVM languages
· Expertise in mentoring & coaching junior developers within teams
· Solid understanding of how to build testable, decoupled, maintainable code and other engineering best practices such as XP techniques (TDD, pair-programming, CI, etc)
· Experience working within an agile, cloud-based environment, we use AWS
· Very strong working knowledge of backend technologies including but not limited to: Dropwizard, Spring/Guice, ORM/Hibernate, SQL and relational databases
· Understanding of integration technologies: microservices, RESTful APIs, gRPC, JSON/XML Structured Logging
· Experience with version control, preferably Git
· Uses of Serverless technologies will be a bonus
· The ability to build scalable and maintainable software-as-a-service applications using modern JVM languages
· Willingness to learn and apply new methodologies and techniques as required
· Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science or relevant field
· Great communication skills, able to discuss engineering issues and trade-offs without hesitation.
What are the perks?
· Flexible work from home arrangements (Hybrid or fully remote model of working)
· Equitable parental leave program including access to up to 24 weeks of paid leave
· Beautiful office space in Southbank with all snacks, beverages and catered meals
· Open ACG accounts and AWS certification reimbursements
· Additional wellness days (extra days of leave) and company-wide wellness hours
· Afterpay swag, did someone say Afterpay socks?
· Paid team outings, UberEats Vouchers & Afterpay credit on Afterpay day!
How to Apply
We don’t know what the future holds. That’s the exciting part; we show up and make it happen. If you’re excited by this opportunity, click apply now!
Afterpay is continuing to hire for all open roles with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. All new team members, in addition to current staff, will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices