We are Calibre. We are building tools to help our customers build better, faster websites and applications. It’s our mission to educate and empower anyone to create a fast, accessible web.
We are looking for someone passionate, humble and self-motivated. We want someone who sweats the small stuff but can incrementally improve a growing product.
That’s where you come in! As a Front-end Developer, you'll spend your days working to build interfaces and tools that directly help our customers.
If that sounds like your jam, we’d love to talk to you.
About the role
- The role is permanent, full time. We are open to mid to senior levels of experience.
- The Calibre Team is located within Australia, but you could be elsewhere, as long as there are at least 4 hours cross over with AEST between 8 AM and 6 PM local time.
- You will work on Calibre’s reporting UI (bonus points for interest and experience in data visualisation and charting), our website, open source projects, and everything in between. Helping to extend the functionality of our API and command line interface is not a must, but a nice to have.
- You will have the freedom to develop new features and find ways to improve the product.
- You will handle support conversations, talk directly with customers, investigate their accounts and help them when issues arise. Everyone at Calibre helps to support our customers.
What you will do
Typical tasks in the life of a Front-end Developer at Calibre might look something like this:
- Building customer-facing user interfaces in Calibre itself (React, Styled-System, Apollo/GraphQL, Rails, HTML, CSS / Styled-components).
- Remotely collaborating via Slack, Notion, GitHub, Figma and a weekly video chat.
- Writing and reviewing Pull Requests (GitHub), pushing app releases to production regularly.
- Building new product landing pages and functionality for our website and documentation (Next.js).
- Helping to maintain our internal component library and design system.
- Writing and updating technical documentation, resources and blog posts.
- Reviewing and triaging support conversations that arrived overnight. Logging any bugs that arise. Learning from our customers. Fixing bugs and following up with customers.
- You want to ship every day. Your passion is to build end-to-end software. You want to iterate, learn and improve regularly.
- You understand the importance of quality, tested code. You write tests and feel confident in doing so. Code is documented, understandable and predictable.
- You don’t treat front-end as an afterthought and strive to build interfaces for everyone. You are well-versed in valid and reusable HTML and CSS. You pride yourself on creating interfaces that are fast, accessible and don’t leave customers with busy work.
- You’re self-motivated and can work independently. Working remotely or independently is something that you enjoy and have experience in. You take the initiative to make sure that you have everything you need to work efficiently and will call for support when required.
- You love learning. You might not have the experience required for all areas of this role, but you’re excited by the prospect of growing and learning. While our roles are specialised, each team member can wear many hats.