At Canva, we’re transforming the way the world designs by building a suite of easy-to-use design tools (for graphics, animation, video, and print) in over 100 languages, and across browser-based and mobile platforms.
Founded in 2013, with Technology and Product HQ’d in Sydney, we’ve grown to nearly 800 staff globally. We’re the most valuable private technology company in Australia with a valuation of USD $3.2 billion, we’re profitable, and we’re acquiring users at an incredible rate - with over 130 million designs created per month in Canva -- and rapidly growing!
The Observability Team is responsible for all operational insights inside Canva. Our goal is to provide our development team with world-class tools to view how their services are performing in production. We achieve this by combining industry-leading third-party solutions with our own in-house developed solutions. We work across the entire stack maintaining our metrics and logging Java libraries, our logging and metrics infrastructure, error and alert routing, and our incident management process to name just a few. As we scale all of these areas require more sophisticated solutions to ensure that Canva developers can continue to grow without compromising on reliability or availability.
- Be proactive in modernizing our Observability tooling and participate in brainstorming and POC’ing to determine how we can improve our existing systems
- Become an expert on the area of Observability and evangelise the benefits of proper instrumentation throughout the organisation
- Help build new features into our Logging and Alerting pipelines to ensure that people are getting notified for errors which are related to their domains
- Help develop solutions to solve difficult problems such as how to deal with high-cardinality metrics which we can’t solve with our existing tooling
- Guide and mentor people on the team and help them grow out their skills and knowledge
Required experience and background
- Comfortable and happy to code in Python or Java
- Deep knowledge and understanding of Computer Engineering fundamentals and first principles
- Experience with Observability tooling – having competency with tools like Datadog, Elasticsearch, Kibana, Loggly, Sentry, or similar
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code, we’re a Terraform shop, but strong experience with other IaC tools will do the trick
- The ability to guide and mentor other members within the team and improve the way we collaborate, learn, and share ideas
- This role requires a lot of documentation and internal client-facing; therefore strong written and verbal communication skills are required
Not essential; but helpful experience
- Experience writing application code in Java since we also maintain the metrics, tracing and logging java libraries.
- Experience building and running monitoring infrastructure at a large scale. For example, Terabyte-scale Elasticsearch clusters, Prometheus, Kibana, Grafana, etc
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Internal Coaches and an Employee Wellness Program
- Sponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals (including visa sponsorship)