We have a remote-first culture and this position can be based anywhere from Australia or New Zealand. This role can be fully remote or a hybrid if you are in Melbourne. We encourage you to work in the way that best suits you.
Join us on our mission to make a better world of work
Culture Amp revolutionises how over 25 million employees across 5,000 companies create a better world of work. As the global platform leader for employee experience, we empower companies of all sizes and industries to transform employee engagement, develop high performing teams, and retain talent via cutting-edge research, powerful technology, and the largest employee dataset in the world. The most innovative companies across the globe, such as Salesforce, Unilever, PwC, KIND, SoulCycle, and BigCommerce depend on Culture Amp every day.
Culture Amp is backed by 10 years of innovation, leading capital venture funds, and offices in the US, UK, and Australia. We’re recognized as one of the world’s top private cloud companies by Forbes and one of the most innovative workplace companies by Fast Company.
Learn more about how Culture Amp can help you create a better world of work on our website.
About the role
You’ll be joining a team working on our flagship Engagement product, helping companies understand their people and make meaningful change to their workplace culture. All our teams are cross-functional and have the autonomy and responsibility for bringing features from conception all the way through to owning them in production, and you’ll be involved throughout that process.
An engineer on one of our teams you can expect to:
- Tackle a wide variety of technical problems across our codebases as you build features and help us move to a distributed and event-driven architecture.
- Collaborate with other engineers in your team through pair programming, writing solution designs, or giving feedback on pull requests, to build shared understanding of your work.
- Work with the product managers and designers in your team to understand customer problems and help to develop, refine, and then implement solutions.
- Maintain and support the services your team is responsible for. Ensure our dependencies are up-to-date, observe and understand services in production, refactor code, and attend to issues raised by our customers.
This job is for you if:
- You have experience in building web-based software applications. You understand fundamental engineering concepts, scalability, security, and maintenance.
- You are a proactive and clear communicator. You value empathy and kindness and are able to articulate your ideas and feelings when writing or speaking, and are open to the perspectives others bring.
- You seek to understand and solve customer problems. You think about how your work – at all levels – impacts our customers and improves their experience.
- Your process involves documenting your work. You write code that is consistent, maintainable, and understood by your teammates.
- Your code is thoroughly covered by integration and unit tests. You understand the value of test-driven development and know how and when to add tests.
- You’re self-motivated and can work independently. You take the initiative to ensure that you have everything you need to work efficiently and call for support when required.
- You’re aligned with our values and demonstrate them through your working practice.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would check every box here — what’s important is that you arrive with a strong set of fundamentals, and that you’re committed to building the skills you’ll need to do great work. Similarly, while we use a range of specific technologies — Ruby and Rails, Kotlin, Go, Elixir TypeScript, React — you don’t need to have direct experience with all of them for this position and there’ll be opportunities to learn as part of the role. For this role we are looking for a Senior Engineer that’s open to learning and working on our broader stack including Murmur, Ruby.
Please keep reading!
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don’t apply for roles unless they meet all the criteria — unlike majority candidates that meet significantly fewer of the requirements.
We strongly encourage you to apply if you’re at all interested: we’d love to learn how you can amplify our team with your unique experience!
We believe that inclusive businesses are better, not only for company performance, but for the world. We have a strong commitment to anti-racism and lead by example. Every step we make as a business towards anti-racism is another step we can take to support our customers in making a better world (of work). View our current commitments to anti-racism.
We ensure you have the tools and support you need to thrive, both inside and outside of work:
- A MacBook — for you to do great work where it suits you
- Share options — it’s important to us that everyone is an owner and can share in our success
- Excellent parental leave and in-work support program — for those starting or growing their family
- Flexible working arrangements — wherever we can we aim to make work support the life you want to lead
- Fun and inclusive digital and (in the future) in-person events
And most importantly: an opportunity to make a real difference in people’s lives.