Baraja is changing the world of self-driving cars through the invention of a new type of LiDAR called Spectrum-Scan™ that delivers ultra-high performance at high resolution, even at incredibly far distances. Today, Baraja LiDAR is already deployed in multiple verticals, working with global automotive and industrial partners.
Originally founded in Sydney, Australia, we also have offices in San Francisco, China and Europe. We are funded by Sequoia, Blackbird and Main Sequence Ventures and we are excited to continue growing the team, so if you are looking for a fast-paced, dynamic role in a start-up we are keen to hear from you!
We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer to be the design authority on high quality mechanical components, processes, and systems from concept to manufacture, within a fast paced and collaborative environment.
Inside the Job
- Create high quality designs for low and high-volume manufacturing processes.
- Deliver rapid prototype iterations to prove system concepts.
- Review designs for mass manufacturing processes and to minimise component cost.
- Create clear component specifications and open communication with suppliers.
- Ensure establishing of controlled supplier process to deliver system outcomes.
- Ensure accurate planning of tasks and project milestones while communicating effectively with stakeholders.
- Root cause analysis and manage solving of complex mechanical issues.
- System and component designs verified to meet regulations and customer needs.
- Design test plans to characterize components and confirm design direction.
- Drive implementation of new mechanical processes to improve efficiency and productivity within the organisation.
- Support the training and professional development of junior engineers.
- Experience of directly managing key stakeholders.
- Significant track record of start to finish engineering product development (5 years).
- Tertiary qualifications in Engineering, Industrial Design or similar discipline.
- Experience creating quality controls to measure and confirm process capability.
- High degree of Solidworks proficiency (5 years).
- Demonstrate innovation, determination and enthusiasm in a start-up environment.
- Experience testing products to customer requirements and working with product validation standards.
- Experience with high volume manufacturing processes.
- Experience managing thermal constraints through design, simulation and testing.
- Experience with Assessment of risk (e.g. tools such as risk assessment or FMEA).
- Full Australian Working Rights.
- Automotive Industry Experience.
- Experience with FEA.
- Experience with Optics or Photonics.
- Systems engineering and interface management experience.
- Familiar with Python, VBA and C.
- Hands on additive manufacturing experience.
- Familiar with the agile methodology.
Be part of a high-performance team
We work toward our goals by being in constant communication in person and through a range of technologies. We also have big ears for feedback from customers to help us continually improve the Baraja experience. We are pretty good at what we do (but definitely not perfect), so you’ll be learning from and working with a top-flight team on a mission to be better every day.
What matters to us
We believe that our culture is one of our most important assets and we’ve wrapped it up with three key values that we do our best to live up to every day:
- Hustle to deliver on hard and meaningful problems - Passion to achieve. Resilience & learning. What's the next challenge?
- Build the machine that builds the machine - It’s not enough to design amazing products, we need to design the means to manufacture these products, at scale.
- Develop sustained high performance - Great teams make great things. They also respectfully challenge each other to reach the next milestone.
What are you waiting for? If this role excites you, we’re keen to have a chat!