Sydney NSW, Australia
- Start-up backed by Tier 1 Venture Capital firms in the US and ANZ
- Make a name for yourself in the automotive industry
- Fun, innovative and inclusive culture, winner of People's Choice Award
Baraja is changing the world of self-driving cars through the invention of a new type of LiDAR called Spectrum-Scan™ that delivers ultra-high performance at high resolution, even at incredibly far distances. Today, Baraja LiDAR is already deployed in multiple verticals, working with global automotive and industrial partners.
Originally founded in Sydney, Australia, we also have offices in San Francisco, China and Europe. We are funded by Sequoia, Blackbird and Main Sequence Ventures and we are excited to continue growing the team, so if you are looking for a fast-paced, dynamic role in a start-up we are keen to hear from you!
We are looking for a Field Application Engineer to support our business growth as we’re launching out to the automotive market.
You’ll be the technical expert on Baraja’s line of products (i.e. existing products, new product samples and prototypes), and Baraja’s outward face to existing and prospective customers; primarily Tier 1 automotive OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer).
In a knit team of 5 people, the role reports to the Team Lead - Field Application Engineering in our growing Commercial business.
As part of a global team distributed across the US (San Francisco, Detroit), Europe (Germany), China (Taiwan) and Australia (Sydney), you’ll be expected to travel, mostly domestically but sometimes internationally, for some periods of time.
The primary focus is to install and integrate Baraja’s LiDAR into customer’s test vehicles and vehicle fleet. This includes:
1- Product Installation & Integration
- Responsible for Baraja’s demo van, you’ll run all product demonstrations
- Develop inter-personal relationships with stakeholders ranging from Engineers to the C-suite, across VP levels
- Gain a solid and deep understanding of customer’s workflow and use-case(s) to pre-empt issues and anticipate on tailored adaptations of the product
- Frequent travel to customer sites both domestically and overseas to provide hands-on maintenance and manage ongoing product deployments
2- Drive Innovation / Continuous Improvement
In consultation with our Product Development team (e.g. Electronics, Mechanical Engineering, etc), you’ll:
- Proactively design, implement & iterate the customer support process
- From interacting with the customer, feedback requests for improvement
- From your expertise in Baraja’s LiDAR contribute to new design ideas
3- Pre-Sales Engineering
- Directly assist our VP of Engineering for Automotive as a Trusted Advisor
- Along with the rest of the Engineering team (e.g. System Architect, Project Manager, etc), you’ll participate in the making of presentation slide decks and collaterals
- Assist the Business Development team in customer demonstrations
- Attend some of the largest tech events in the world (e.g. conferences, tech shows / expos)
4- Expert Customer Technical Support
- With empathy, deeply understand customers, qualify their needs and elicit their requirements
- Provide technical support and troubleshooting, both remotely & on-site
- Delight your customers with creative problem solving and by committing to the resolution of their queries
- Clearly communicate timelines and manage expectations
Your Skills & Experience
You come from a background in either Mechanical, Electronics, Mechatronics, Systems Engineering or equivalent. This includes having commercial experience with the following:
- Technology integration (e.g. mounting, cabling, wiring, power, data analysis)
- Sensing applications in a broad term (e.g. robotics, laser, radar, etc)
- Complex hardware installation or assembly (e.g. vehicle installation)
- A self-starter, that demonstrates a high degree of independence and autonomy
- Domestic and international travel might account for more than 25% of the time
- Open to long-term international relocation after 6 months according to business needs and pending visa / travel restrictions
- Highly personable, you’re great with people and approach challenges with energy
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
Full Australian working rights.
Ideally, you’d have the following:
- Tertiary qualification in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Electrical knowledge of basic circuits and wiring
- Automotive industry experience, such as work at a Tier 1 Supplier
- Networking skills (e.g. VPN, LAN, VLAN, Network Security)
- Scripting skills in Python or equivalent for data manipulation or REST API calls
We believe that our culture is one of our most important assets and we’ve wrapped it up with three key values that we do our best to live up to every day:
- Hustle to deliver on hard and meaningful problems - Passion to achieve. Resilience & learning. What's the next challenge?
- Build the machine that builds the machine - It’s not enough to design amazing products, we need to design the means to manufacture these products, at scale.
- Develop sustained high performance - Great teams make great things. They also respectfully challenge each other to reach the next milestone.
We work towards our goals by being in constant communication in person and through a range of technologies. We also have big ears for feedback from customers to help us continually improve the Baraja experience. We are pretty good at what we do (but definitely not perfect), so you’ll be learning from and working with a top-flight team on a mission to be better every day.
The Benefits We Can Offer You
- ESOP (Employee Share Option Plan)
- Healthy lunch provided onsite, daily
- Wellness Allowance
- Learning & Development Allowance
- Nany Care Service
- Monthly social events
- Monthly team lunch
- Baraja’s Clubs (e.g. Coffee, Physics, Robotics, Brewing, etc)
- Social sporting teams (e.g. Hiking, Basketball, Soccer, Frisbee, Table tennis)
- Volunteering day
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Program
The recognition we gathered
We've recently been the recipient of the following:
- Finalist in the 2021 InnovationAus Awards for Excellence in 3 categories: People's Choice, Advanced Manufacturing & Wild Card
- 2021 NSW Premier's Export NSW Awards
- iAward for Automation Technologies Innovation of the Year 2019
If you’re looking for a rare opportunity within a fast-paced, innovative, growing global start-up we are keen to have a chat!