Optical Test and Measurement Engineer
North Ryde, Sydney
Baraja is changing the world of self-driving cars through the invention of a new type of LiDAR called Spectrum-Scan™ that delivers ultra-high performance at high resolution, even at incredibly far distances. Today, Baraja LiDAR is already deployed in multiple verticals, working with global automotive and industrial partners.
Originally founded in Sydney, Australia, we also have offices in Palo Alto. We are funded by Sequoia, Blackbird and Main Sequence Ventures and we are excited to continue growing the team, so if you are looking for a fast-paced, dynamic role in a start-up we are keen to hear from you!
Design, implement and deploy advanced test methods and test hardware to characterise and validate our next-gen automotive LiDAR. This role needs flexibility and ability to think “outside the box”, to come up with innovative solutions to unusual problems.
Inside the Job:
- Design innovative solutions for LIDAR system verification
- Work with cross functional team to implement and deploy test systems in R+D and production
- Perform statistical evaluation of test results
- Work with DSP team to improve system performance and point cloud algorithms
- Develop concepts for measuring key parameters of our LIDAR system
- Design and automate test systems
- Verify performance by statistically evaluating test results.
- Analyse signal processing chain.
- Suggest and test improvements to the DSP chain.
- 2+ years experience in optical test/automation in relevant industry (such as Telecom, optical components, LiDAR).
- Solid understanding of topics like fibre optics, optical polarisation, photo detectors, lasers, but also linear algebra, statistics, machine learning etc.
- Hands on experience related to free space optics and/or fibre optics, optical alignment, optical test instruments.
- Experience in software design for automation, such as Python, LabView, C, C++ using ADC cards, GPIB, motor control etc.
- Experience with hardware bring-up, debug and measurements.
- B.S. or higher degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, or relevant field.
- Previous start-up experience in the same or similar role.
- Experience in automotive, sensors, or calibration, especially LiDAR.
Be part of a high-performance team.
We work toward our goals by being in constant communication in person and through a range
technologies. We also have big ears for feedback from customers to help us continually improve the Baraja experience. We are pretty good at what we do (but definitely not perfect), so you’ll be learning from and working with a top-flight team on a mission to be better every day.
What matters to us.
We believe that our culture is one of our most important assets and we’ve wrapped it up with three key values that we do our best to live up to every day:
- Hustle to deliver on hard and meaningful problems - Passion to achieve. Resilience & learning. What's the next challenge?
- Build the machine that builds the machine - It’s not enough to design amazing products, we need to design the means to manufacture these products, at scale.
- Develop sustained high performance - Great teams make great things. They also respectfully challenge each other to reach the next milestone.
What we can offer you.
- Healthy lunch provided onsite.
- Wellness Budget.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Learning & Development budget.
- Internal progression opportunities.
- ESOP offering & remuneration package.
- Monthly social events.
- Volunteer day.
- Team lunches.
- Social sporting teams i.e. hiking, soccer, frisbee and table tennis.
What are you waiting for? If this role excites you, we’re keen to have a chat!