More and more organisations are seeing the value in talking to customers, and as such the user research practice continues to grow across many industries. Teams are conducting more interviews, usability tests, focus groups, surveys, and more than ever before. Qualitative research is time consuming to perform, and it’s challenging to analyse, store, manage and find unstructured data in a collaborative and privacy compliant way.
Dovetail is the leading cloud data analysis and research repository platform. We believe customer-obsession builds the best products, so our mission is to ‘enable product teams to make better decisions through the power of customer understanding’. We think what we’re building is an exciting and brand new category of software.
We’re a product-led, bottom-up, self-service software company founded in 2017. We have thousands of paying customers of all sizes ranging from individuals and small agencies to large enterprises and consulting firms. Companies like Square, Figma, VMware, Shopify, BCG, GitLab, Porsche, Canva, and more trust Dovetail to analyze, store, and manage their research data and insights, often across multiple teams and locations.
We don't have a large sales team, which means product marketing plays a huge role in how we successfully scale the product and business. You will work closely with our product, marketing and customer success teams to execute our strategy, and define how product marketing works at Dovetail. We're looking for someone who can wear multiple hats and has great attention to detail to build a product marketing function that reflects our brand and obsession with customers.
What you will do
- Own messaging and positioning. We have ambitious goals of creating a new category of software that helps researchers and their teams develop a new level of customer understanding. You will own how we position the product in market, define our value proposition and the language we use in marketing material, within the product and in internal discussions.
- Develop a deep understanding of our market and customer. We are a customer obsessed team, but you will take this to an entirely new level of understanding. You will define customer personas, prioritise their biggest challenges, define segments, understand purchasing behaviours and research competing offerings. The team will look to you as the voice of the customer.
- Support product launches. Our product team moves fast so we constantly have exciting new features to share with our customers. You will write blog posts, help articles, create launch materials for our sales team, write email newsletters and communicate with our rapidly growing Slack community to support these launches. You also know that a product launch is just the beginning and will support continued adoption of features as our team improves them.
- Partner with our product team. Be a close partner with our product, design and engineering teams. You'll contribute to our product strategy, how we prioritise features and be a constant advocate for our customers. You will understand our funnel better than anyone and drive pricing and packaging decisions for new features and products.
- Enable our go-to-market teams. Support our small, but effective sales and customer success team. Identify and deliver assets, programs, campaigns to accelerate our self-serve acquisition, including webinars and pre-recorded demos. Prepare and drive enterprise cases studies as sales enablement material, drive partnership opportunities and own analyst relations.
- Execute in the face of ambiguity. We are moving fast and defining an entirely new category of software, which means we are faced with plenty of uncertainty and ambiguity. It is critical that you are able to balance strategic thinking with rapid execution. You believe in constant progress over perfection.
- Grow our product marketing function. You will be our first true product marketing hire. You will work closely with our Head of Product to build the team, define ways of working and recruit future team members.
- Strong product marketing experience. You've supported multiple products and features from ideation to launch to adoption. We expect you to have supported successful product launches, and learned useful lessons from any failures.
- Experience working closely with product teams. We expect you to jump right in and collaborate with our product managers, designers and engineers. You've had experience working in the weeds with product teams in making tough priority tradeoffs and helping them set product strategy.
- Clear communicator. We expect you to take big, ambitious ideas and distill them down into concise, exciting talking points. You have experience bringing the voice of the customer to an entire team and get buy-in on your ideas and strategies.
- Experience with B2B SaaS products. You understand product led growth strategies for B2B SaaS products and have implemented them before. Freemium growth models, funnel analysis and pricing decisions are areas that you have experience owning and driving.
- Pragmatism. We're looking for someone who can wear multiple hats across the design process, and with great attention to detail create quality experiences that reflect our brand.
- Strong domain expertise is a plus. Ideally you have hands-on experience working in small startups that are growing and transitioning to a more mature scale-up. Domain expertise in user research or design software is specifically a plus for this role.
- Competitive base salary plus equity. Even though we’re a small startup, we pay salaries that can hold their own against big tech companies.
- KitKat days. We understand the importance of mental health and wellbeing. These are extra paid days holiday for the whole company where everyone can take a break.
- Generous equal parental leave.
- Floating public holiday leave. You can choose to work public holidays and use that day another time in the year.
- Flexible working hours and location. We value work-life balance, especially right now. While we’re mostly back in the office, you’re free to work where you want, when you want.
- Personal learning and development budget. We’re a big fan of personal development, and prefer to home-grow leaders rather than filling leadership / management externally.
- A brand new architecturally designed office in Surry Hills. With free snacks, beer on tap and drinks, three different coffee machines, social areas, and a rooftop.
- TGIF events. Monthly company wide activities on Fridays for the whole team.
- Salary sacrifice. We have a salary sacrifice policy for work related items.
- Ergonomic office. Sit-stand desks, 4k 27” monitor, ergonomic chairs, quiet spaces, and collaboration spaces, to suit all kinds of working styles.
- Pet friendly office! We love dogs and often have dogs in the office.
- Personal development. Regular lunch and learn events, opportunities for presenting at webinars and conferences, and networking through our investor community.
- Annual company retreats. We try to go away every year!