Are you an analytically-minded scientist who loves to solve problems and roll up your sleeve ups and get it done?
We’re on the hunt for a Synthetic Biology Director to help our company to achieve our big, audacious goals to transform the plant-based and alternative protein sector. You will report directly to the CTO and work closely together to build our high-throughput synthetic biology pipeline as well as manage several team leaders responsible for engineering model and production yeast and fungal strains. You will interact with a Downstream counterpart to form a 3-way team with the CTO to effectively manage the entire R&D program.
- Form a partnership with our CTO, Anna, and your Downstream 2IC counterpart to form a 3-way team to manage the entire R&D program.
- Build a high-throughput and semi-automated synthetic biology pipeline within Nourish and in partnership with our partner research institutes.
- Manage your R&D teams that are tasked with building new specialty food lipids in yeast and fungal strains.
- Use your experience in running high-throughput pipelines minimize troubleshooting and translational problems experienced during establishment.
- Ph. D in Food Science, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Chemistry or a similar field.
- 10+ years in applied research and development.
- Experience in leading a team/program/division in a commercial high-throughput synbio environment to produce innovative microbial products and meeting production milestones.
- Expertise in developing commercially viable oleaginous strains.
- Strong liaison skills between internal operations, research teams, and external foundries and research institutes.
- Proven track record in mentoring, training, engagement, and budgeting.
- A desire to solve problems and share knowledge.
- The ability to thrive in a diverse, dynamic team.
- Active participation and leadership in safety and regulatory compliance.
- Strong communication skills with key stakeholders (operations, business leadership, technology, and engineering) on commercial performance and technology efforts.
- Thorough and attentive to detail with strong analytical ability.
- A thoughtful and compassionate leader.
- A self-starter that is naturally curious and enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
- A creative problem solver and fast mover, even in times of uncertainty.
- Opportunity to be part of something big as we set out to change the way the planet looks at sustainable, plant-based alternatives.
- A supportive and collaborative environment.
- Opportunities to collaborate with some of the world’s leading science, food technology, fermentation and synthetic biology organisations.
- The potential to participate in the Nourish Employee Share Option Plan.
- Flexible work .
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals.
**Maybe this role is not for you if:
- You need a lot of direction or a roadmap to start a project.
- Don’t enjoy the tactical and task-driven parts of the role.
- Prefer to have a role with specific focus. As a start-up leader, you will need to wear many hats and get your hands dirty with tasks and projects outside of the traditional scope of this role.
Here’s how to apply:
Send us your CV along with a brief cover letter telling us about why you’re the person for the job and why you want to work for Nourish Ingredients.