More and more organisations are seeing the value in talking to customers, and as such the user research practice continues to grow across many industries. Teams are conducting more interviews, usability tests, focus groups, surveys, and more than ever before. Qualitative research is time consuming to perform, and it’s challenging to analyse, store, manage and find unstructured data in a collaborative and privacy compliant way.
Dovetail is the leading cloud data analysis and research repository platform. We believe customer-obsession builds the best products, so our mission is to ‘enable product teams to make better decisions through the power of customer understanding’. We think what we’re building is an exciting and brand new category of software.
We’re a product-led, bottom-up, self-service software company founded in 2017. We have thousands of paying customers of all sizes ranging from individuals and small agencies to large enterprises and consulting firms. Companies like Square, Figma, VMware, Shopify, BCG, GitLab, Porsche, Canva, and more trust Dovetail to analyze, store, and manage their research data and insights, often across multiple teams and locations.
We’re looking for an experienced visual designer to come on board and take our website and digital properties to the next level. These are fundamental to acquiring new customers, educating the market on the research craft, and delivering self-service customer support. As our brand and marketing activities ramp up and our business continues to scale globally, we need someone to join the team who can play a critical role in owning the way we show up as a brand digitally.
What you will do
- Provide creative leadership. You’ll lead marketing design projects from conceptualization to completion. This includes continually raising the bar for design excellence and pushing our brand forward with fresh ideas, facilitating creative jams, workshops, and more.
- Execute on design projects. We’re a small team so we expect you to be hands-on building and evolving our digital marketing properties including our website, blog, landing pages, help center, and email. You are skilled in organization and can prioritize and adhere to deadlines.
- Design with our customer’s experience in mind. You’ll take a customer-centric approach to creating high-quality web designs using a combination of techniques including wireframes, treemaps, graphic design, and visual design.
- Collaborate on design projects in the marketing team. While you’ll drive and manage your own projects, you also need to collaborate closely with the rest of the marketing and product teams to understand the customer, our product, strategy, and business objectives.
- Build and maintain our brand system. You’ll work with our team to maintain and improve our brand guidelines including logo usage, color, typography, the grid system, icons, navigation, form elements, banners, page layouts, page flows, widgets, and more.
- Help us evolve our visual design. Working with our marketing and product teams, you’ll shape, develop, and experiment with our visual identity while maintaining a cohesive visual experience for customers across multiple web properties. This includes color, imagery, illustration, iconography, typography, graphic design, and more.
- Strong digital web design experience. You should be familiar with designing a website from the ground up including everything from establishing an IA to pixel-perfect mocks for both web and mobile, along with experimenting with new tooling and skills.
- Experience getting technical with developers. You’ve worked closely with developers to implement your designs, whether that’s using the Chrome inspector to provide feedback; exporting SVG files in a developer-friendly way; or thinking through a component architecture and translating a typography system to CSS.
- An extremely high attention to detail. One of our values is ‘if we do it, we nail it.’ You have a high-quality bar and strive to maintain an excellent, pixel-perfect level of detail and consistency across all brand and marketing activities.
- Experience collaborating with others. You have a proven ability to communicate and influence creative decisions while welcoming cross-functional collaboration. You can smoothly manage incoming requests and feedback from the business and prioritize.
- Excellent communication. Skillful, concise communication so you can easily communicate visual concepts and rationalize your decisions. Be able to convey your opinions to the team, including founders (one of them is a designer!).
- Strong domain expertise is a plus. Ideally, you have hands-on experience working in small start-ups that are growing and transitioning to a more mature scale-up. Domain expertise in user research or design software is specifically a plus for this role.
- Competitive base salary plus equity. Even though we’re a small startup, we pay salaries that can hold their own against big tech companies.
- KitKat days. We understand the importance of mental health and wellbeing. These are extra paid days holiday for the whole company where everyone can take a break.
- Generous equal parental leave. We offer 12 weeks equal parental leave.
- Floating public holiday leave. You can choose to work public holidays and use that day another time in the year.
- Flexible working hours and location. We value work-life balance, especially right now. While we’re mostly back in the office, you’re free to work where you want, when you want.
- Personal learning and development budget. We’re a big fan of personal development, and prefer to home-grow leaders rather than filling leadership / management externally.
- A brand new architecturally designed office in Surry Hills. With free snacks, beer on tap and drinks, three different coffee machines, social areas, and a rooftop.
- TGIF events. Monthly company wide activities on Fridays for the whole team.
- Salary sacrifice. We have a salary sacrifice policy for work related items.
- Ergonomic office. Sit-stand desks, 4k 27” monitor, ergonomic chairs, quiet spaces, and collaboration spaces, to suit all kinds of working styles.
- Pet friendly office! We love dogs and often have dogs in the office.
- Personal development. Regular lunch and learn events, opportunities for presenting at webinars and conferences, and networking through our investor community.
- Annual company retreats. We try to go away every year!