Join a movement in which everyone can win. We started a movement in which everyone can win – shoppers, retailers, society and every person on our team. We play fair, trust people and reward them for doing the right thing. We see and feel the impact of our work as more and more people gain financial freedom and retailers grow across the globe.
Founded five years ago in Sydney, Australia, Afterpay has millions of active customers globally and is offered at the world’s best retailers around the world including eBay, The Iconic, Myer, Foot Locker, Adore Beauty, Mac Cosmetics, Kathmandu and many others. Afterpay is on a mission to power an economy in which everyone wins.
Afterpay is completely free for customers who pay on time – helping people spend responsibly without incurring interest, fees or extended debt. Afterpay empowers customers to access the things they want and need, while still allowing them to maintain financial wellness and control, by splitting payments in four, for both online and in-store purchases. Afterpay is deeply committed to delivering positive outcomes for customers. We are focused on supporting our community of shoppers.
We trust in the next generation and share a vision of a more accessible and sustainable world in which people are rewarded for doing the right thing.
Afterpay is looking for an engineer to help enhance and scale our platform systems that underpin our products. Our mission in Platform Engineering is to empower product teams to deliver value to the end customer in a faster and safer manner by focusing on availability, reliability and scalability.
This is an exciting and unique opportunity to join the Platform Engineering division that powers one of the world’s largest payment networks and which makes a direct, tangible impact on Afterpay’s growth and success.
The team you’ll be working with: Observability
The Observability team’s mission is to provide logging, tracing, metrics and monitoring systems to be able to provide insights through data on the behaviour of services and the underlying platform infrastructure.
The Observability team is central to maintaining and improving operational and delivery performance at Afterpay. The team is responsible for architecturing, building and operating a cohesive observability stack for all systems and services operated at Afterpay. The Observability team embraces a product as a platform mindset to serve it’s internal engineering customers.
We are much more than our job descriptions, but here’s where you will begin…
As an Observability Engineering will be responsible for:
· Architecting, building and scaling our Observability infrastructure used by all of Afterpay’s engineering teams;
· Defining best practices for making systems and services measurable and evangelise with Product Engineers to apply practices;
· Collaborating with Product Engineers to ensure logging, metrics and tracing capabilities allow teams to alert on symptoms rather than errors;
· Collecting, aggregating and visualising the metrics to provide actionable insight; and
· Helping to develop solutions to solve hard problems such as how to consistently measure request errors across a heterogeneous group of services.
Who are you?
Like us, you’ll be deeply committed to delivering positive outcomes for customers and passionate about shaping the future of Afterpay.
· Experience writing high quality and testable code. The Observability team mostly uses Python and Typescript;
· The ability to create Infrastructure as code using Terraform or equivalent tooling;Experience with containerisation technology and orchestration platforms e.g. Docker, Kubernetes;
· Knowledge of architectural patterns such as microservices and service meshes;
· Experience with version control, preferably Git;
· Experienced with public cloud platforms (AWS strongly preferred);
· Experience with monitoring and observability tooling - competency with tools like SumoLogic, Splunk, NewRelic, PagerDuty, Sentry, Cloudwatch and Prometheus;
· Experienced with data pipelines moving large sets of data;
· The ability to communicate asynchronously and with empathy; and
· The ability to write high quality documentation to share knowledge across the engineering organisation.
How we reward you.
We are a purpose-led, outperforming organisation and will reward you for your performance. We pride ourselves on fairness and offer a competitive total reward package made up of salary, incentives and benefits including the opportunity to enrol in our share matching plan.
We have a strong focus on health and wellbeing at Afterpay as we aim to support you to succeed in both your career and personal lives, such as providing employees with a corporate membership to Headspace. We also offer a generous parental leave policy and are proud to support working parents with up to 24 weeks of paid leave.
We value diversity and a collaborative and inclusive environment where everyone feels they belong.
How to Apply:
We don’t know what the future holds. That’s the exciting part; we show up and make it happen. If you’re brave, if you’re committed to doing the right thing and excited by this opportunity, click apply now!
Afterpay is continuing to hire for all open roles with all interviewing conducted virtually. Where possible and in line with DH Covid-19 restrictions, we are transitioning to in-office onboarding for all new starters on day one.