At Canva, our mission is to democratize design and empower creativity and visual expression for every person, on every platform. Since launch in April 2013, our user base has grown exponentially, amassing over 10 million users in over 100 languages, making us one of the world's fastest-growing technology companies. As of today, we've achieved profitability, and the company is valued over $1-billion, which comfortably prepares us for the next phase of growth and development.
You'll be joining the Gateway Team, a subteam of the broader Infrastructure Group consisting of skilled technologists with previous experience at companies such as Google, JetBrains, Yandex, Atlassian, Amazon, Apple, and Facebook; leveraging their knowledge and experience building mass-scale web applications for consumers and businesses alike.
The Gateway Team is responsible for the front line of our microservices, as well as the journey a request takes while travelling from one service to another. Gateway’s work is based on two cornerstones: Reliability and Velocity. We want to ensure that every request that hits Canva goes through the Gateway components, at ludicrous speeds, and that the developers who work on the platform can be efficient, productive, and most importantly, happy.
- As an individual contributor, develop awesome Gateway features and functionality to support the Canva product suite
- Develop internal tools and services used by other software engineers to maximize productivity and eliminate blockers
- Deep investigation into production incidents followed up applying the learning to code
- Researching, developing, and justifying the best choices in the form of design docs for features that will shape the future of Canva
- Propose new approaches and solutions to ensure we future-proof Canva’s distributed cloud infrastructure as we scale
- Developing solutions you’ve designed from the ground up through to deployment into production
- Identifying and addressing performance bottlenecks within the application and broader infrastructure
- Participating in design meetings, hiring interviews, and code reviews
Required Skills & Experience
- Five-plus (5+) years of commercial experience developing complex, distributed web applications on the JVM; experience writing Java (experience with other JVM languages such as Scala, Kotlin, etc is a big plus – however, we primarily use Java 11)
- Familiar with asynchronous or reactive programming techniques and associated patterns; At our scale, writing blocking code is not an option
- Comfortable with computer science and engineering fundamentals: concurrency, data structures, and distributed systems
- Experience working in large distributed cloud environments (ideally AWS); CDNs, DNS. We’re hosted on AWS and leverage the tools they provide as much as possible
- Disciplined coding practices, experience with code reviews and pull requests, and a creative and conceptual problem-solving approach as opposed to framework or library-focused; We strive to build fast and lean solutions; not library/framework-heavy patchwork
- Strong communication and team collaboration skills, both written and verbal. A Canva engineer strives to understand the exact problem before jumping into writing code – look before you leap!
Nice to have; Not required!
- Experience with RPC Frameworks, Finagle, Thrift or gRPC will be a huge plus, but not required; We strive to make sure that the communication layer is not a bottleneck, and simplifies the life of the product engineers as much as possible
- Knowledge of networking protocols such as TCP, HTTP 1/2, QUIC, protobuf, etc. would be a big plus; The life of a request doesn’t start inside the backend web server, but rather in the browser of a user
- An understanding of resiliency techniques and patterns – load balancing, throttling, back pressure, circuit breaking, etc; For Canva, reliability is a feature, and the Gateway and broader infrastructure teams aim to provide the best tools possible to the application engineers to ensure that Canva stays available at all times.
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Internal Coaches and an Employee Wellness Program
- Sponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals (see below for visa information)