What’s it like working at Afterpay?
Welcome to the Rocketship! We’re a rapidly growing team with one vision: to become the world’s most loved way to pay. Our Australian-made buy now pay later service has revolutionised the retail sector by allowing our customers to receive their purchases and then pay them off in instalments, all without having to pay upfront fees and interest.
In the Afterpay universe, work is extremely fast-paced, and roles are always evolving. There's plenty of opportunity in the roadmap ahead as our millennial brand expands into the US and beyond. You’ve got to have drive, tenacity, commitment to culture and good ideas, and you’ll find your hard work pays off with the tangible impact of your contribution as you directly shape the business.
About the Team
Afterpay’s technology was home-grown in Australia, and we’re now building our tech teams in both Melbourne and San Francisco. We’re team players, committed to fast-paced quality work, and we’re looking for people who are keen to be part of something new as it rapidly grows to sky-high limits.
About the Role
We have an opportunity for a Mid- Senior level Developers to join our team in Melbourne. Our Software Engineers are responsible for developing software to enhance the Afterpay platform delivering value to Customers, Merchants and internal Afterpay users. We operate in a fast paced and constantly changing industry and development and maintenance of effective software is key to the ongoing success and future growth of the business. This is a perfect role for Developers who thrive in a fast-paced environment where they are working with current technology and where their work matters and is appreciated.
What you’ll be doing
- Practice eXtreme Programming (XP) engineering techniques of Software Development
- Foster the use of agile practices of Software Delivery
- Work in cross-functional Product teams responsible for the discovery, delivery and validation of product features via microservices, APIs, web-appsWork with the software engineering team following our software development principles, guided by the Team Lead, Staff Engineers and Architects
- Peer review design decisions, code, automated tests and documentation
- Participate in the ongoing design and architecture of our evolving core platforms and services
- Collaborate with product managers, experience designers & business stakeholders to build efficient and reliable feature implementations that will delight our customers
- Ensure that story estimates and code reviews are completed in a timely manner
- A naturally curious and self-driven individual
- Solid understanding of how to build testable, decoupled, maintainable code and other engineering best practices such as XP techniques (TDD, pair-programming, CI, etc)
- Experienced working within an agile, AWS environment
- Very strong working knowledge of backend technologies including but not limited to: Dropwizard, Spring/Guice, ORM/Hibernate, SQL and relational databases
- Understanding of integration technologies: microservices, RESTful APIs, gRPC, JSON/XML Structured Logging
- Experience with version control, preferably Git
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Exposure to Continuous Delivery will be highly regarded
- Uses of Serverless technologies will be a bonus
- The ability to build scalable and maintainable software-as-a-service applications using modern JVM languages
- Willingness to learn and apply new methodologies and techniques as required
- Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science or relevant field