Vow is a food company -- a very different one. We’re creating real meat products from animal cells, instead of the animal itself. We’re bringing together cutting edge innovations in science, technology, culinary and design to make sustainable food that’s both irresistible and available to billions of people worldwide.
The work that we are doing is a critical step on the path to creating a future where humans can exist in sustainable harmony with our planet. A world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren. We are achieving this by creating sustainable food that is the most delicious, desirable choice of anything available. This is a mission we believe in deeply.
As a company, we’re 16 months old. We have a growing team of 27 hard-working people who genuinely look out for each other and we are fully funded to tackle our ambitious mission.
We are looking for creative, driven, and amazing research scientists and senior scientists to join our expanding team at Vow. You’ll have the opportunity to solve some of the biggest problems currently facing the cultured meat industry. You will collaborate with high performing scientists, chefs, software engineers and designers to define the links between cell biology, growth media and the food produced at the end. You’ll be autonomous and empowered to find better ways to do things. A ‘hacker’ mentality, or non-traditional pathway into science are both a big plus for us. Our problems are more than just discovery -- you will be working in a fast-paced environment on the nexus of automation, data science and biology, growing real products to put in the hands of customers as soon as humanly possible, all without any harm to animals.
What you'll do:
- Lead one or more project teams on exciting topics including cell isolation and purification, media optimisation, bioreactor design and scale-up.
- Mentor a team of highly motivated, passionate scientists, including early career scientists in our successful Junior Research Scientist program.
- Contribute strategic scientific ideas for long term data acquisition and analysis.
- Learn and establish new assays and pipelines.
- Collaborate with our team of engineers to solve some of the most challenging scientific problems in new, better and faster ways.
- Collaborate with our product team to create some of the most amazing food products the world has ever seen!
In return, we will support you with:
- A productive, safe, supportive, and collaborative work environment.
- Active transparency to let you contribute to every facet of the business.
- No legacy overheads -- the freedom to define the best approach to solving problems, both technically and organisationally.
- High stakes work that matters deeply to the company and the world. A mission for you to sink your skills and passion into.
- Ongoing career support, weekly 1:1s and feedback from leadership, and access to learning and development opportunities.
- You are aligned with our mission, and you care that you are building something that solves huge problems in our world today.
- You are proactive and enjoy thinking about the big picture.
- You are kind, curious and you enjoy learning new things.
- You are scrappy and are not afraid of building something from scratch.
First and foremost, we want you to be committed to excellence. This, and changing the way the world eats is something we take very seriously at Vow. This is a role for someone who believes they could contribute deeply to Vow’s scientific and/or R&D challenges. If you are interested in working with us but do not see a direct match with the skills below, use this to let us know who you are and how you can best contribute!
- A PhD in a relevant area (cell or molecular biology, developmental biology, cancer biology, regenerative medicine, physiology, bioprocess engineering etc.), or 5+ years in a relevant industry role.
- Experience in leading small (or large teams).
- Experience in developing and running cell-based assays and/or tissue engineering.
Roles on the science team will be shaped around the right candidate/s, so reach out and tell us about yourself!
Ultimately this role will be shaped around the right candidate. If you love the mission and have evidence that you can make a strong contribution towards it, we want to speak to you.
Vow’s mission is to make food products for everyone, and we mean everyone. To do that well we need a workforce that’s representative of the people we serve. We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view, we are inclusive and we believe diversity drives innovation - so we’re building a culture to match. Uniqueness is powerful - be yourself and come as you are.