Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the role
The Principal Product Designer is responsible Partnering closely with Design and Product Leaders to set the design vision and direction for a portfolio or initiative, raise the visual and interaction design quality and get teams working in a way that makes great products.
How you’ll make an impact
You will be responsible for evangelizing a design system and practice that helps create consistent and beautiful products; developing the standards and guidelines which clarify the expectations of our design teams, and growing and enabling capabilities of designers within your team.
You'll help to define the design direction and vision for product areas and/or initiatives, working in partnership with design, product and engineering leaders, and ensure they are defined and communicated in a way that provides clear direction to other designers and product teams. You'll explain and promote a balance of ‘Best Practice’ and innovative design approaches to enable teams to achieve world-class design at Xero and ensure design direction is in place to support the product roadmaps and strategy of product teams. You’ll be responsible for framing up medium to long-term, high-level design evolution across product programmes and initiatives. Your impact will be a force multiplier for teams, amplifying their efforts so that they in turn can solve Xero customers' problems more effectively.
Global Design, Product Management, Engineering, Data & Business Intelligence, Customer Support, Product Marketing, Sales, Brand & Marketing
What you’ll do
Design practice and capability
Work with GM Design, Product Design Directors in your portfolio and other Product Design Principal’s across portfolios to continually evolve and grow our design practice, processes, and capabilities to support the delivery of world-class product design solutions.
Partnering closely with Design and Product Leaders to set the design vision and direction for a portfolio or initiative, raise the visual and interaction design quality and get teams working in a way that makes great products.
Influence, challenge and enable teams to deliver high quality product experiences.
Success looks like
- The designers impacted by you increase the consistency and quality of the experiences they deliver.
- The teams impacted by you have a greater awareness of all the connecting dots and how to achieve seamless experiences
- The teams impacted by you regard engaging with design practices as a pathway to success.
What you'll bring
- Track record of innovating and delivering design experiences at scale
- Demonstrated quality in design craft, process and thinking
- Recognised as an expert within the field of design, with extensive design specialist knowledge
- Experience leading other designers working on complex software
- Experience building and iterating on a product based on usage patterns, user feedback and an evolving strategic landscape
- A portfolio that demonstrates high-quality design outcomes, contributing to user experience and business value
- Strong presentation, verbal and written skills as well as proven ability to develop well-positioned and thoughtful documents and presentations
- Ability to influence and speak the language of business and design simultaneously and to mixed audiences
- A genuine eagerness to work with, mentor, encourage and learn from a diverse and talented team
- An inclusive, collaborative approach that helps maintain our values and contributes to making Xero a great place to work
Read more about the Design practice at Xero here.
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.