Meet Athena, the Home Loan Wrecker
Athena Home Loans launched in 2019 to help Aussie borrowers save money and pay down their home loan faster. Athena’s digital mortgage platform radically simplifies the application process passing on the savings to customers as better rates.
Customers switching to Athena are saving ~ $60,000 over the life of their loans. Since launch, Athena has settled over $1.9b in home loans, and saved borrowers over $200m in interest savings – and grown to become one of Australia’s largest fintechs.
Athena has built Australia’s first cloud-native home loan platform, covering the full value chain to acquire, originate, service and fund residential mortgages. Fintechs targeting mortgages are typically only focusing on a narrow layer of the value chain (e.g. originations), then handing back to legacy bank systems. By tackling the full stack, Athena aims to cut the cost of running a mortgage business by 70% vs. legacy players, providing sustainable advantage.
Athena has raised $200m in equity funding to date in four funding rounds from leading investors including AirTree Ventures, Apex Capital, AustralianSuper, Hostplus, Macquarie Bank, RESIMAC Group, Rice Warner, Square Peg and Sunsuper. Most recently in October 2019, Athena closed $90m in Series D funding – the largest ever Australia-led venture capital investment round.
We are looking for an amazing Digital Product Owner with deep mobile app and web experience to join Athena’s product team. You will report into the Head of Lending Product, and collaborate with product managers, software engineers and designers to deliver on a vision to create Australia’s most loved digital home loan.
As an integral part of the Lending Product team, you will run toward a north star of delivering intuitive and seamless digital customer experiences across the Athena App and our online banking platform, Home Hub to change home loans for good! Your role will be critical in translating our products and features into a digital experiences that will delight and engage our customers in paying down their home loans faster.
You must be passionate about using digital tools to create meaningful engagement opportunities. You will deeply understand customer motivations to achieve financial freedom and how we can help them on this journey. Our digital channels will be the primary means by which we deliver our financial wellness value proposition. We want customers get the best home loan in Australia and we will also help them take control of their financial goals for good.
- App and Home Hub PO: As the Digital Product Owner, you represent the voice of the customer, translating products and features into great digital experiences, bringing clarity to what is needed and why.
- Digital Features strategy: work with Product team to create a features roadmap taking into account customer needs, features & product market fit, delivery capability and our OKRs. You’ll be a key advisor on when it is suitable to build a feature for the app first, app only, both or web only.
- Customer journeys and user flows: You’ll help shape customer journeys and user flows for customer and internal testing. You’ll advocate for customers, raise awareness of customer needs and help people at all levels in our business foster empathy.
- Partner with CX: to deliver fun/bold/audacious digital experiences to bring to life Athena’s tone of voice and brand. Your role is to bring people together to create the best digital experiences that will change home loans for good!
- Define business and functional requirements for the app: Quickly define clear business requirements working across the business, product managers and squads, minimising back and forth to support an agile delivery lifecycle. Translate these into detailed functional requirements.
- User story, backlog grooming & prioritisation: Maintain a brilliant backlog of user stories, ensuring priorities can deliver on the product roadmap and are balanced with optimisation initiatives. Keep a healthy amount of user stories ready, manage cross-squad dependencies and implement the most efficient sequencing for development
- Product delivery: Work closely with your counterparts within the squad, product managers, design team and engineering leads to deliver incremental product enhancements, supporting the squad to ensure acceptance criteria and expected outcomes are met. You will ensure stakeholders are deeply engaged and informed on delivery and release updates
- Product planning & strategy: Partner with the Lending Product Managers in exploring and refining roadmap initiatives, working to execute and iteratively deliver on the product roadmap by translating a high-level vision into an MVP, and series of incremental deliveries
- Digital to Operational process improvements: delivering an awesome app is not just about the frontend – this role requires someone who can deliver change through the value chain so that our customers have a great experience from user interface to fulfilment. This means your role is to work with our various operational teams to ensure that new processes are developed to support the front end.
- Performance measurement and optimisation: You have an excellent grasp of measurement and performance evaluation – both quantitative and qualitative. You’ll be able use data to form actionable insights to focus on the highest value opportunities. Operational excellence: Identify and implement process improvements to increase the velocity and quality of work to deliver value to customers faster
- Squad Leadership: Act as a multiplier for your squad and stakeholders, by embodying Athena’s values to bind the many functions that interact with Product to run a smooth development and delivery process
- You would ideally bring a passion for delivering customer solutions that support financial wellbeing, knowledge of home loans or other transferable financial services products, alongside mobile app and web development experience.
- Exceptional critical thinking skills to be able to think deeply, get concepts really quickly, be able to translate that into relevant digital experiences and roadmap.
- You have a track record of delivering brilliant digital experiences via app and website channels.
- Must have deep customer empathy for common financial pain points.
- This exceptional understanding of customer needs and behaviours allows you to deliver great digital experiences.
- Your experience should span the full customer lifecycle of acquisition, onboarding, engagement and retention, however to begin with, the focus for the Digital PO will be for existing customers.
- Deep use of data in order to identify traits, behaviours and using these data points to build user personas that form the basis of a digital product roadmap.
- Extremely effective collaborator with the ability to coordinate many operational functions and frontend and backend tech stacks and squads to deliver amazing digital experiences.
- Deliver real outcomes: this is different to any big corporate you have ever worked at. There is no busy work, there are no jobs for managers of things that can’t do the things. The gap between your action and your impact is wafer thin. You need to be able to make valuable real-life outcomes happen, and quickly
- Super collaborative: no egos, elbows or brilliant assholes
- Flexible mindset: for Athena to grow, you need to grow and not be capped out.
- Be prepared to change other people's minds and for them to change yours. You need to enjoy this.
At Athena we are committed to a workplace that embraces diversity, equality, and inclusion. Athenians are free to let their own brand of freak fly.
Please be sure to add [email protected] to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.