We’re rebuilding our core platform from the ground up, on a state of the art modern tech stack! Are you interested in a greenfield rebuild of a successful marketplace? Want to lead a team that will have a real impact and influence on the future technology direction of a fast growing Australian business? Does an event driven, microservices architecture get your interest? And a data focussed approach to everything we do? Then this could be the role for you...
Hi, We’re hipages, Australia's largest online tradie marketplace.
Let us introduce you to hipages, Australia’s largest Online Tradie Marketplace, where our team get to help shape the on-demand tradie economy!
What we do:
The hipages product is available as a website and mobile phone application. Our technology is designed for Australian homeowners and tradies, ultimately making it easier for them to connect, communicate and get a home improvement job done well. Over 3 million Australians have used hipages where a home improvement job is posted every 20 seconds!
The Problem we’re solving:
hipages’ mission is to use innovative technologies and superior customer service to transform the tradie-consumer experience from the current feat of mutual endurance to one of effortless efficiency.
Where we are going and Why:
Our Vision to be THE place to go for home improvement, replacing traditional ways of connecting tradies with consumers such as word-of-mouth and print advertising to our online platform. Our purpose of Creating Happier homes through Effortless Home Improvement drives our curious, creative and energised team to achieve this.
How you will make an impact:
As a Lead Software Engineer you will be responsible for the redesign, development and maintenance of the software that makes up the hipages core platform. You will work closely with fellow software engineers, product managers, and other key stakeholders to design and build innovative solutions to complex technical and business problems. You will be the technical leader, a key and influential in defining the future of the hipages software architecture as we continue to evolve. As a member of the Marketplace Core Team, you will be responsible for rebuilding the core of the Hipages Marketplace using best available technologies and practices. But most importantly, you’ll be joining a top-notch engineering team!
- Leads setting the technical vision and direction at the team level and contributes to technical vision and direction for the company
- Contributes towards making technical decisions that have a department wide impact and takes ownership and accountability for these
- Demonstrated ability to identify, track and resolve highly complex issues in familiar systems, and medium level issues in unfamiliar systems
- Demonstrate willingness to work in different codebases, between frontend, backend or mobile.
- Understand how the business converts customers’ needs into team backlogs
- Helps PMs to validate and verify assumptions during discovery
- Demonstrated the ability to increase effectiveness and improved engineering workflow within their team
- Drives a learning culture within the team and identifies opportunities that aligns with the growth of other members of the team
- Writing clean, scalable, testable code to support and enable the growth of the company
- Technical experience:
- 7+ years of professional software development experience
- Experience building resilient distributed systems in a cloud-native environment
- Experienced in a cloud technologies (e.g. AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Experience building scalable, distributed systems in a cloud-native manner
- Good understanding of Engineering principles, and what makes good quality software (eg SOLID)
- Experience working in an agile team (Scrum, Lean, Kanban or any other flavour)
- Strong experience with both relational and non-relational data stores
- Experience writing automated tests
- Solid understanding of continuous integration systems and concepts
- Proven ability to adapt and learn new technologies quickly
- As an added bonus (but not required), you might have:
- Experience with containerisation technologies, e.g. Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience building event-based systems and working with message broker technologies such as RabbitMQ or Apache Kafka
- Experience working with search solutions, e.g. Elasticsearch
- Experience with DevOps and Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) practices
- Experience with microservice architectures
- A working knowledge of privacy and security-by-design best practices
Take a look inside our home:
- A close-knit diverse family of bright, respectful, collaborative members who love to solve problems and jump on new opportunities;
- High-touch personalised investment in your continuous career development;
- Agile cross-functional teams who value teamwork - from Hackathon to team off-sites, to Product roadshows, you get to experience it all;
- Competitive salary and benefits, plus equity via our Employee Share Program, we’re all owners of hipages;
- Daily bottomless continental breakfast, fresh fruit and snacks ;
- Inspiring office and location - based in the heart of Sydney CBD, only a few steps from Town Hall Station;
- Remote work and flexible work;
- Five-star bicycle parking and changing rooms (with showers) - we’re in the Hilton building with access to many facilities;
- Social connection focus: Friday socials, company parties and teaming activities - the best in town!
hipages. Change the way you career!
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other minority groups tend to only apply when they check every box. So you don't tick every single box above, but you think you would be a great fit for the role? We encourage you to apply, we would LOVE to hear from you!