Koala’s mission is to become the smartest way to buy high-quality furniture online. Combining customer-centric products, a world-class technology and fulfilment platform, incredible customer service and social good, we are changing the way people buy and enjoy furniture.
Why we have this role @ Koala
To work as part of the Thrivability & Legal team while reporting directly to the VP, Thrivability & Legal to further Koala's mission to improve habitats inside and outside the home. The Sustainability & Thrivability Manager will be responsible for supporting the ongoing development and optimisation of the ongoing sustainability and thrivability strategy for Koala.
What key responsibilities does this role have @ Koala?
- Promote and further an ESG strategy that is directly tied to Koala's values, strategies and goals taking into account the international nature of Koala's business.
- Develop and execute corporate sustainability initiatives and strategies.
- Develop and execute overall program management and change management strategy related to ESG business initiatives/processes.
- Develop annual and long-term goals in line with the UN sustainable development goals.
- Prepare annual ESG/Sustainability reports on progress with long term goals.
- Creates policies, guidelines for internal teams related to sustainability programs affecting the environment, community, ethics and health and safety of the organization.
- Use available information to guide teams on identifying and mitigating ESG risks, adherence to international standards and produce regular training and conduct regular training sessions for all teams.
- Engage with internal stakeholders and prepare and present regular sustainability reports and conduct sustainability assessments tracked against appropriate stretch metrics for the business.
- Manage the due diligence on each team's Sustainability Policies.
Koala is looking for an energetic, hard working and self-motivated individual to be hands on in managing a newly created ESG function within the Thrivability & Legal team with the following characteristics:
- 4 years of managerial experience in corporate sustainability, ideally in a fast paced online retail or FMCG brand
- Bachelor’s degree graduate preferably in Environmental Science or any equivalent
- Knowledge and experience in global environmental standards and frameworks: such as UN Sustainable Development Goals and others
- Experience designing or redesigning an ESG program
- Technical experience and/or an appreciation of conducting ESG reviews, monitoring and reporting
- Robust influencing and engagement ability - adept at building relationships and credibility
- Ability to provide leadership and work competently with a variety of stakeholders
- Strong written and communication skills, including ESG reporting and training
Treehouse Perks and Privileges…
Koala is only as good as its employees are happy — and we’re one happy mob!
- Flexible working You’ll have the freedom and autonomy to do your best work the way that works best for you.
- Take a break We offer generous time off and parental leave policies to help keep your work life balance, balanced.
- Fully stocked kitchen Our pantries are filled weekly with an emphasis on healthy, local and organic produce. There’s also fresh coffee beans in the machines, a VB fridge and our famous Koala Kombucha on tap.
- Pet-friendly The Koala Treehouses are as pet-friendly as they get — all furry friends welcome!
- Surprise & delight The two-word combo at the core of everything we do. All Koalas can expect to enjoy free Koala products with ‘mates rates’ for your friends and fam.
- Support & wellbeing We support the whole you! It’s very important to us that everyone in the Treehouse continues to thrive. Our employee experience respects and embraces all families, formed, found and evolving. You’ll have access to our Employee Assistance Program, which includes unlimited sessions for financial, work, relationship, family or wellbeing support.
- Diversity, equity & inclusion We're an inclusive workplace that celebrates diversity. We’re an equal opportunity employer, and recognize that a diverse workforce is crucial to our success as a business.
- Accelerate your career We can’t grow as a brand unless we support the growth of our teams. We’ve partnered with RMIT where all of our Koala’s receive 15% off courses, unlimited access to LinkedIn Learning and Koala facilitated weekly growth sessions and resources.
- Community & connection We believe that simply doing ‘no harm’ isn’t good enough and business can only thrive if society and nature thrive too. How are we doing our part? BCorp Certified, WWF Partnership, Bushfire Relief Days, a member of SoftLanding and so much more.
Koalities we look for…
At Koala, we do things a little differently and we don’t shy away from the fact that we expect a lot from our employees! We want you to challenge expectations, always look to make a difference and give us something different from the norm. We want people that bring great energy, that have a long-game focus and are always curious to find new angles and approaches to the way we work. We're a team full of entrepreneurial spirit and have a relentless focus on 'what's next' but while always reviewing 'what's been done' and learning, growing and adapting. We're bloody confident, but NEVER arrogant and we adapt to change like Steve Smith under a short ball. Honesty and selflessness drive everything we do, as well as a total focus on exceeding our customers’ expectations. So if you feel like this could be you... well what the bloody hell are you waiting for? Drop us a line, and let's see what you've got! ;)
All in all, the Koala Kommunity is a great place to hang out and belong to!
There’s no such thing as a ‘perfect’ candidate, Koala is a place where everyone has opportunity. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.
*Recruiters, sending you love and light, but we got this and won’t be accepting unsolicited CVs.